According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in recent years an average of about 250 children under 5 years old drowned in pools nationwide annually. Most of these cases involved residential pools.
In order to ensure a safe pool environment and prevent drowning:
• Fences and walls around the pool should be at least 4 feet high
• Don't leave pool toys in the pool area that may attract young children to the water
• A power safety cover can be used when the pool is not in use
• Keep rescue equipment by the pool and a phone with emergency numbers posted
• For above ground pools, steps and ladders to the pool should be secured and locked
For more information, go to U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.