For residents of the City of St. Louis, the Katy Trail offers a great day trip. The Katy Trail is a bike/walking trail that starts in St. Charles, travels along the Missouri River passing such towns as Defiance, Augusta, Dutzow, Marthasville, and Herman, and ends in Clinton for a one way trip of 225 miles.
The Katy Trail was built on the old Missouri-Kansas-Texas rail line. It is a bike trail that is flat, consists of rolled crushed gravel, and is generally well maintaned. Although it is a bike trail, it is more than that... It offers a glimpse into the old rail and river towns that the Katy line served. In addition to the bike trail, enjoy staying in the local bed and breakfasts, dining at local restaurants, shopping for antiques, or visiting one of the wineries or wine shops located on or near the Katy Trail.
When planning your day trip on the Katy Trail, you may want to start by visiting the website www.bikekatytrail.com. The website was built by Raymond Scott - software engineer, bike enthusiast, and marathon runner. It is an interactive website that offers many great features including the following:
- Interactive Katy Trail Maps: Obtain maps of the trail, individual sections of the trail, or towns located along or adjacent to the trail. It also includes links to other map and trail resources.
- Interactive Mileage Chart: Plan your trip and track your miles by using the interactive mileage chart.
- Business and Service Guide: Use the interactive business/service guide to obtain information on bike rental, bike repair, restaurants, wineries, bed and breakfasts, antique stores, and other businesses and services that cater to users of the trail. Search by town, trail destinations, desired business or service, and more. It also includes links to the local chamber of commerce, individual businesses and more.
- Events: There is never a shortage of local events along the trail. The events include organized bike rides and trail runs, country festivals and fairs, musical events and concert series, art shows and fairs, and farm and livestock shows. Search by town, date, type of event and more.
- Weather Conditions: View weather reports and forecasts for the trail.
- Trail Conditions: Review periodic maintenance updates regarding trail conditions.
- Comments: Need a review? Have a question? Post a question or comment to the forums section of the website.
Interested in Relocating to St. Louis? Visit our the Relocation Guide on our website.
Interested in purchasing a business, bed and breakfast, or home along the Katy Trail? Contact Ryan Shaughnessy at PREA Signature Realty at 314-971-4381 or send an e-mail to Ryan@PREASignatureRealty.com.
Interested in other biking resources? Visit one of these great biking sites:
Interested in other day trips from St. Louis? Consider these great options: