I covered low and medium cost ideas you can do to a home in previous blogs. Ideas for small life style changes that can make a big difference were also included.
Here are some higher cost ideas for living green that have a longer time horizon to recover costs, but the efficiencies that you gain can really make a big difference.
- Buy ENERGY STAR appliances
- Replace windows with double pane, low-e glass
- Replace rood with reusable/recycled material
- Install photovoltaic panels
- Remodel kitchen or bathroom with sustainable materials and features
- Replace cabinets with sustainably harvested wood and low-VOC finishes
- Install solar hot water heater
- Install a green roof
- Install a wind turbine or wind mill
- Install an on site water reclamation system
Not all of these ideas will work for everyone and I don't recommend that you go right out and make large purchases but when the time is right, THINK GREEN!