Recent dryer fire caused over 150,000 in property damage, displacing a family of 6
Las Vegas, NV - An early morning fire caused over 150,000 in property damages where a family of six was lucky to escape without injury. Firefighters were called around 2:00 in the morning; when they arrived they noticed flames and smoke pouring from a side door, windows and from the roof vents of a single story home.
A total of 29 people from the fire department responded, including fire trucks, rescue units, fire chief officers and support personnel. The fire was under control within 15 minutes.
All residents were at home when they were awakened up by the smell of smoke which alerted them to get out of the house. The fire was caused when materials stored near the running dryer ignited. The fire spread up the wall and into the attic, causing significant smoke damage to the home.
Dryer Vent Wizard wants to remind consumers of the following dryer fire safety tips:
- Have your new washer and dryer professionally installed
- Electric Dryer - A licensed electrician should inspect the electrical service to be sure the dryer has the right size breaker and that it is properly grounded
- Gas Dryer - A licensed plumber should inspect the gas fittings and flex hose for gas leaks
- A dryer exhaust specialist should install a proper dryer vent system of rigid or semi-rigid metal
- Clean the lint trap after each load of laundry; wash the screen every few months with soap and water to remove residue from dryer sheets
- Do not store combustible materials, cardboard boxes or flammable chemicals near the clothes dryer
- Check the dryer vent outside when the dryer is running to be sure it is working properly; you should see it opening as the dryer exhaust vents are releasing hot air
- Schedule a professional dryer vent cleaning at least once a year
If you notice your clothes dryer taking longer than usual to dry a load of laundry there is most likely lint clogged in the dryer exhaust ducts, restricting air flow. Call a dryer vent service technician to inspect immediately.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission reported over 15,000 fires annually, resulting in deaths, injuries and expense. Most dryer fires are caused by failure to properly clean dryer vents. Learn more at http://dryerventrepair.blogspot.com/