When my car broke down last week I felt so very helpless because I depend heavily on my car for my day-to-day business and appreciate the freedom of getting in my car and driving. I'm sure most of you are able to relate to this.
I thought I'd make a list of items to check on a regular basis to keep your vehicle in good running order.
- Change your oil regularly, every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. All fluids should be checked at that time including; brake, power steering, transmission/transaxle, windshield washer solvent and antifreeze.
- The air filter should also be checked. To ensure it is still allowing proper air flow to the engine.
- Check tire inflation at least once a month. In the summer, due to warmer temperatures, check them more frequently. Proper amount in tires can save wear and tear and can actually save on gas mileage.
- When gassing up, check your oil level. Newer cars will tell you electronically when you need to add oil but as a precaution...check it anyway.
- Pay attention to your gages. If you notice any changes in temperature of the engine or drop in oil pressure, immediately get it checked. Do not drive excessively and pull over and park and call for help!
- Keep your engine tuned. Bad spark plugs or plugged/restricted fuel injector can reduce gas mileage as much as 30 percent.
- Check your lights including; headlights, turn signals, and brake and tail lights regularly.
- Get your brakes checked regularly. Especially if they start squeaking or if you feel grinding when you apply the brakes.
- Check windshield washer blades. If you are in a downpour and your wipers do not function properly, you can put your self in danger due to poor visibility.
- Inspect engine belts regularly. Worn belts will affect the engine performance. Look for cracks and missing sections or segments.
I hope these tips help to keep your car in top shape so your business will continue to take off!
I am a professional licensed REALTOR® from the sunny St. George, Utah area that assists buyers and sellers with the necessary tools and technologies to make informed decisions regarding real estate.
Wanda Kubat-Nerdin, REALTOR®, CSP®, e-PRO®, CNE®
Windermere Real Estate So., 1173 South 250 West
Building 2, Suite 503, St. George, UT 84770
435.632.9374 Cell - 435.628.0860 Fax