This historic home deserves more mention primarily because it is one of the finest examples locally of the genre called Craftsman. It is fully restored, on the national and state registers of historic homes and is a local resource, being part of the Whatcom County Park System. The home was built by the son of one of the original Bellingham Bay settlers. Captain Henry Roeder established the first sawmill on the bay in 1852 to provide lumber to rebuild San Francisco after the big fire of 1852. His son Victor (owner of the home, born in 1861) started construction in 1903. The home was completed in 1908. Imagine the cost today of a home building project that takes 5 years. The length of time is primarily because Victor wanted the home to be of highest quality, and used highest quality materials (some of which had to be shipped around the Horn from the east coast.).
The home was donated to the Whatcom County Parks Board in 1971 by then owners Dr. and Mrs. Keyes with the proviso that it be used exclusively for the enjoyment of the public. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Today, along with tours, the home hosts art classes, a holiday arts and crafts fair and concerts by the Whatcom Home Made Music Society. It is also used for weddings and receptions.
Historic information courtesy the Whatcom County Parks Department.