As promised, we'll be sharing some tips about getting the kids ready before school starts. For those of us with kids and work, having a plan and order will make adjusting to ALL our new schedules much easier. Whether you attend Archer Glen, Middleton, Hopkins, the new Edy Ridge, Laurel Ridge Middle, Sherwood Middle, Sherwood High School, Mitch Charter school or any school in Sherwood Oregon or the surrounding areas, here's a few tips that are sure to be helpful as you start getting organized for back-to-school.
- Get the house in order before school starts. This is something the kids and I have been working on room by room over the past couple weeks. I went a little overboard by rearranging furniture, but for me it creates an atmosphere for new beginnings -while allowing you to clean in the nooks-n-crannies that have been covered up for ages.
- Get all the bedrooms spotless before school starts. Don't forget to make some extra time for this. I ended up with bags of old clothes and toys that we'll be donating. It's amazing what they can fill a closet with or stuff under a bed when we leave it up to them. Now with clean rooms and signs of school around the corner, they'll be going through the motions with plenty of time to prepare. And by the way, it's also not too late for an end of summer garage sale to make some extra cash for those much needed school necessities!
- Organize the drawers and closets for clothes, shoes, back packs and coats. I moved the pants drawer up and the shorts drawer to the bottom. This will make it easier for accessing clothes appropriate for the changing seasons. Another tip I love is dedicating a space for a large bin or box with each child's name on it. We put all their back pack mail and school papers they bring home inside and it keeps them (and me) organized. We make a keep pile and a throw away pile each week. At the end of the year, all the keep stay in the box and it can be easily sealed and stored for memories of their year in school.
- After a good before school cleaning, now you'll have a better idea of what they have and a better idea of what they need. This is a good time to make a check list before hitting the stores. I should take my own advice here. I like to indulge a bit when it comes to buying new school clothes and supplies - maybe that's even an understatement after today's Target bill. But who doesn't love the excitement of getting new stuff?
- If you find that you don't have time to do the above, GET a bulletin or white board!! We have a pretty large one by our back door. It's the hub to communicate schedules, appointments, announcements and invitations. It's one way I know how to try and keep 5 people in check when we're all going different directions. No one will miss it when going in and out several times a day, and it's a good tool for us all to see what the other is up to. Hope it helps you too!
- Stock up on supplies at home. With the amount of homework we see come home these days and projects on top of that, having extra supplies on hand is a lifesaver! Reserve a drawer, decorate a box or grab a storage bin and have extra supplies on hand. We have a dedicated space at home where homework is done. This is also helpful for keeping up important homework routines at my house.
- STOP and make time to talk. Whether at breakfast together in the morning, in the car or at the dinner table. Make sure to make time each day to connect one-on-one.
- It's important to keep routines simple and consistent- especially during the first week or two of school. With a few weeks before-hand to practice, now is a good time to consider starting the new bedtime and morning routines and for us, video game, computer, cell phone and tv rules too. I want to give my three boys plenty of time so we're preparing them with excitement and encouragement vs a number of discouraging last minute changes. So, on the evening of Sunday the 16th, the Gardner family will start our transition.
Wishing you a fun and safe school year!
Your neighborhood Realtors - Jason & Amber Gardner
www.TheGardnerTeam.net | 971.832.1234