WELCOME TO POINT LOOKOUT STATE PARK
Recreational opportunities abound on this picturesque peninsula formed by the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River. Swimming, fishing, boating and camping are just a few of the activities to be enjoyed in this beautiful bay setting.
The park features boat launch, boat rental, camp fire programs, camp sites, cabins, camp store, dump station, fishing, flat water canoeing, hiking trails, hunting, historic interest, hook ups, pet trail, picnic area, playground, swimming, Civil War Museum/Marshland Nature Center and pavilion.
- Park Office - Summer hours are Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Winter hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. The office will be closed Tuesdays and Thursdays from November 2, 2009 through March 29, 2010. The park office will be closed on December 25 and 26 and January 1.
- Summer visitation - Point Lookout occasionally fills to capacity on summer weekends and holiday weekends. During these times you will not be able to enter the park, nor will you be able to just drive through the park. You may call 301-872-5688 to check on the visitation volume, however they can make no guarantees that they will not be filled to capacity by the time you arrive. On holiday weekends ( Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day weekends) they do not allow people to drive through without paying the service charge due to the volume of traffic within the park.
- Day Use Service Charges - Weekends and holidays (May-September) $5 per person; out-of-state residents $6 per person. All other times $3 per vehicle; out-of-state residents $4 per vehicle. Day use service charges are valid for park use from 6 a.m. to sunset. (Maryland Passport, Disability and Golden Age Passes are valid during this time period. Active Military w/I.D.are exempt. Children in car seats are free.) Night fishing service charge is $3/vehicle for MD residents and $4/vehicle of out of state visitors and is in effect from sunset to 6 a.m. (use the white night pass envelope for payment). Any persons not actively fishing must leave at sunset.
- Camping - There are 143 wooded campsites available; 26 of these have full hook-ups, 31 of these have electric. One campsite for youth groups is also available. Reservations can be made by calling 1-888-432-2267. Campers may check in no later than 10:00 p.m. If the camp office is not staffed, campers may be required to use the self-registration system to check in. Between October 26, 2009 and April 1, 2010 the campground will be closed except for our full hook-up loop (Tulip), which remains open year round for self-contained campers (no restrooms available). There is a self-registration/self check-in system (cash and checks accepted). Please contact the park for hours and closures in advance of your visit.
- Camp Store - The camp store is open from Friday - Monday. The camp store offers snacks, drinks, bait, fishing licenses, ice, gasoline for boats, and boating and camping supplies. Please call the park for hours of operation.
- Please read the park's campground regulations prior to your visit.
- Camp Office - Campers with reservations will be able to pick-up their registration packets at the camp office when park headquarters is not open. Reservations can only be made for Greens Point, Hoffmans and Tulip Loops during the months of April-May and September-October, with the exception of Memorial Day and October 24-26. Reservations may be made for all loops October 23-25 due to Spirits of Point Lookout.
- Civil War Museum/Marshland Nature Center - The nature center and museum are a seasonal operation and are closed for the winter season. They will reopen in May 2009 with limited operation/hours. The nature center and museum offer programs in nature and Civil War history.
- Fishing - The park features three fishing areas available 24 hours, including a 710 foot pier (24 hour operation March 28-November 30). A valid Chesapeake Bay Sport Fishing license and appropriate stamps are required. The pier will be closed beginning December 14, 2009 (re-opening March 26, 2010). All other areas of the park are open for fishing year round. Active fishing is allowed 24 hours a day.
- Night Fishing Pass - Valid from sunset to 6 a.m. All passes are valid during this time period. Fishermen wishing to stay past sunset will be required to pay an additional night-use service charge of $3 per vehicle; $4 per vehicle for out-of-state residents. All members of your party must have a valid fishing license and be actively fishing to remain in the park after sunset.
- Causeway - All service charges will apply to the Causeway area. Those wishing to stay on the Causeway will be obligated to pay both the day use and night fishing pass service charges. To remain on the Causeway after sunset you will be required to have a night fishing pass displayed. Active fishing is required. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on the Causeway, piers and shoreline, and after November 1, 2009 will be prohibited in all areas of the state park.
- Swimming - Swimming is available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Lifeguards may not be on duty. The beach area has grills, picnic tables, and a playground. Facilities include showers and restrooms. Jelly fish may be found in our swim area. The number of jelly fish changes daily depending on the time of year and rainfall.
- Hunting - There are 200 acres set aside for deer hunting. A valid hunting license and appropriate stamps are required (all seasons except early muzzleloader). Two waterfowl blind sites are available.
- Boating - A boat launch facility and fish-cleaning station are available for boaters. Boat rentals and supplies are also available at the camp store. Boat launch service charge is $10 per launch, valid 24 hours a day year round. Reduced services beginning December 14, 2009 between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. Launching is permitted 24 hours a day, however, launchers should be aware that there is no lighting in the area. For emergencies call 1-800-825-7275. Maryland Passport is the only pass accepted for service charge at launch.
- Pets - Pets are allowed in all areas of Malone Circle, Tulip Loop, Green's Point Loop, Hoffman's Loop, and on the paved portion of the causeway and on the beach (north of the causeway) to the entrance of Tanner's Creek. They are NOT permitted in any other day use area or trail, including the beach or picnic area.
- Camper/Cabins - There are six four-person camper/cabins available for overnight stays. No pets, smoking, or cooking are permitted inside the cabins. A fire ring is provided for cooking. Check in time is 3 p.m., checkout is at noon.
- Click here for camping season beginning and ending dates, and camping and shelter service charges.
- Beach Picnic Area - There will be reduced services beginning October 27, 2009. Area will be closed to vehicular traffic and restrooms will not be available. Pedestrian access only is available sunrise to sunset.
- Pavilion - This facility can accommodate 100 people maximum; reservations can be made up to one year in advance. Price does NOT include the $5/person service charge May through September on weekends and holidays, and the $3/vehicle service charge weekdays year-round for calendar year 2009. The pavilion contains a large open grill and picnic tables. Water and electric are available. The swimming area and a small playing field are nearby.
- Fort Lincoln - Open year round sunrise to sunset (self-guided).
Directions from Baltimore:
From Rt. 695
Follow to Rt. 97 south to Rt. 3 south (Rt. 3 will turn into Rt. 301. Follow Rt. 301 south. From Rt. 301 south continue to Rt. 4 south in Upper Marlboro. Follow Rt. 4 south all the way across the Solomons Island Bridge. After the Solomons Island Bridge the first traffic light you come to will be Rt. 235. Turn left onto Rt. 235 south. Follow Rt. 235 south into a town called Ridge (there will be a blinking red light). Turn left onto Rt. 5 south. Follow Rt. 5 south as far as it will go (approximately 7 miles) and you will be in Point Lookout. After the entrance sign, the second road on the right will be the campground. When you arrive in the campground, park at the left and register at the Ranger Station.
Directions from Washington, D.C.:
From Rt. 495
Follow to Rt. 4/Pennsylvania Avenue south to Upper Marlboro. Continue on Rt. 4 south until you cross the Solomons Island Bridge. After the Solomons Island Bridge the first traffic light you come to will be Rt. 235. Turn left onto Rt. 235 south. Follow Rt. 235 south into a town called Ridge (there will be a blinking red light). Turn left onto Rt. 5 south. Follow Rt. 5 south as far as it will go (approximately 7 miles) and you will be in Point Lookout. After the entrance sign, the second road on the right will be the campground. When you arrive in the campground park at the left and register at the Ranger Station.
Directions from the Rt. 301 Bridge:
Follow Rt. 301 north to Rt. 234 towards Leonardtown. When you reach the end of Rt. 234 at Rt. 5 turn right. Follow Rt 5 south all the way into Point Lookout. After the entrance sign, the second road on the right will be the campground. When you arrive in the campground park at the left and register at the Ranger Station.
Point Lookout State Park
11175 Point Lookout Road
Scotland, MD 20687
(301) 872-5084 (FAX)
Call 1-888-432-CAMP(2267) for reservations
Click here to make reservations on-line for Point Lookout State Park.
Southern Maryland Is A Great Place To Visit...... An Even Better Place To Live!
Discover Southern Maryland.....where relaxation is a lifestyle, not a vacation.
We consider Southern Maryland an excellent place to reside and would love to share with you our enthusiasm for the many neighborhoods that encompass it. We pride ourselves on providing unparalleled service & look forward to developing a long term relationship with you. Our local expertise & extensive real estate experience will benefit you whether you are serious about buying or selling a home in Southern Maryland.
We Specialize in a Variety of Properties: Waterfront Properties, Vacation Homes, Second Homes, First Time Home Buyers, Investment Properties, Foreclosures, Horse Properties & Relocation Services.
Please feel free to contact us, if you would like to discuss how we can best assist you with your real estate needs.
We are happy to be of service!
Rita Minion & Chris Minion
Your Southern Maryland Real Estate Connection
Patuxent Plaza - Solomons
(410)-326-9198 - Direct
(410))610-2591 - Mobile/Rita
Click On The Links Below To Visit Our Websites, Browse Our Blogs & View Our Monthly Newsletter: