As the journey continues toward your Carlsbad relocation tips for finding your new home in Carlsbad become even more important.
Thus far you have received from Relocation Tips finding your REALTOR (Part 1) and some tips on finding your community or neighborhood (Part 2)
If you missed these important articles or wish to review them you can find them here:
Your home search is a critically important part of your relocation, unless you are planning to move out and rent, then begin looking. But the same principals apply.
And finding a home from a distance IS very doable, with the help of the Internet and your new REALTOR, with the goal being to come out on a house hunting trip to see the homes that interest you and BUY!
Budget and Defining Your Criteria
Starting off, you need to have a pretty good idea of your budget is and what you are looking for. Keep in mind that in you are moving to an area that is very different from where you live (say from Boston to Carlsbad like I did), you will find dramatic differences in the type of housing - we don't have basements or attics here, for the most part, as one example.
- You can download a checklist that will help refine your criteria and evaluate what is most important (look for "What's Important to You" in the middle of the page for buyers).
- Considering a short sale or REO (or do you know already that will likely be in your price range)? Download my Buyer's Short Sale Checklist on the home page of my website.
Carlsbad Real Estate Homes Search
There are numerous sites to search for homes, with varying degrees of information as well as listings - not all sites have all the MLS listings.
- You can use my search page if you are moving to the Carlsbad area or elsewhere in San Diego, with the ability to refine your search using a variety of parameters and to save searches so you receive updates listing daily.
- Lots of folks also use REALTOR.com, and also like Trulia and Zillow for their searching capabilities and other information you will find there, including ESTIMATES of value (note my emphasis on estimates since these can be off quite a bit) , recent Carlsbad market trends, a Carlsbad home prices and heat map, Carlsbad foreclosures, and much more.
- Some folks like to use RealtyTrac and Foreclosure.com although I find that listings on these sites are often out of date. Check with your agent on the status of properties (and their prices) your find on these sites.
While you should do a lot of the searching on your own, do not hesitate to ask your REALTOR to send you searches that meet your criteria. I send lists right off the MLS which are the most comprehensive and up to date, and if there are particular homes you come across in the Carlsbad area let me know so more complete information can be obtained for you immediately. If you are working with an agent in your relocation that cannot provide this level of service I would move on to someone who can and will.
Carlsbad Real Estate Mapping Applications
Another great resource when looking for homes in a new area is Google Maps and Google Earth. These mapping resources can give you a great idea of major streets and parks, as well as street and aerial views that may help point out high tension towers, malls, railroad tracks and other things that you would prefer to avoid in the areas you are interested in. Google Earth is especially good for checking out the terrain - hills, canyons and the like which may appeal to you. Listings often do not provide this level of detail, although the mapping technology being use for certain MLSs is improving. Of course there is nothing better than a real life view (but you will get to that) but these can work quite well.
Useful Relocation Services
Since I specialize in relocation (as do other agents) there are some services I provide relocating buyers during the home search phase when looking at Carlsbad real estate and nearby areas.
While many listings provide photos, some of them are terrible, or completely lacking. I provide more photos on properties that interest relocating buyers and preview them as well. I also provide videos of homes and the communities (or you will find community videos on my blog for various neighborhoods).
You goal should be to be able to head out on a house hunting trip with some specific areas and home you wish to see. Perhaps, also, you will be able to give your REALTOR enough information so that additional homes should be scheduled. If you only have 1 trip planned, then your objectives will be much tighter. But more on maximizing your house hunting trips in Part 4 of this series.
If I can provide more information about Carlsbad real estate and surrounding areas, or the housing market in general, or otherwise assist you in your homes search, please contact me by phone or text at (760) 840-1360 or email me at JDowler@remax.net.
All content copyright © 2009 Jeff Dowler Carlsbad Homes and Real Estate Tidbits