Savvy Vancouver Homeowners Maximize Home Sales
Homeowners in metro Vancouver arm themselves with the tools to sell their home
For Immediate Release
August 17, 2009 Vancouver, BC - With home sales on the rise in metro Vancouver, home sellers find themselves in a unique position. Although prices are down over last year, the market is hot with bidding wars and many homes are selling above asking price. Services such as home staging are becoming increasingly popular as homeowners look for the best ways to sell their home quickly and profitably.
"The goal of home staging is simple: to make properties appeal to the broadest possible audience of potential buyers and help owners get a greater profit in a shorter period of time for the sale of their asset." Says Heather Kleim, Founder and Owner of Vancouver based home staging company, Epic Empire Designs. "This is achieved by de-cluttering, de-personalizing and carefully arranging furniture and accessories to best highlight the features of the property. A trained home stager can work wonders with the homeowner's belongings, often moving furniture from room to room and preparing items to be packed and stored until the property sells"
According to Barb Schwartz, author and creator of home staging, home staging has huge impact on home sales. Statistics illustrate that staged properties spend 89% less time on the market and can sell for 5-25% higher than the listing price. More than 90% of staged properties sell within one month.
"I will often run through tips with a homeowner on how they can maximize their home sale" says Kleim. "Many homeowners are savvy enough to know they need to do what it takes to sell their home quickly, we just arm them with the tools to do it properly"
Epic Empire Designs offers the following suggestions to sellers who want their property to move from "For Sale" to "Sold".
1. Curb Appeal. Landscaping is not in everyone's budget but at minimum, ensure grass is cut, leaves are raked and snow is shovelled. Sweep the porch, deck and walkways and consider a potted plant for the entrance.
2. Cut the Clutter! Do this one area or room at a time so the task doesn't seem too daunting. Remove all unnecessary items from countertops, end tables, coffee tables and bookshelves. This includes family photos and personal collections. This is a great way to get rid of items you've been meaning to sell or give away and reduces what you'll have to pack when you move.
3. Let there be light. During viewings and open houses, always have curtains and blinds open, unless they are disguising a very unattractive view. If a room is particularly dark, consider placing a floor lamp in the corner to brighten it up.
4. The simple things. Sometimes the simplest changes can make a big difference. If you own pets, find alternative arrangements for them during open houses and viewings. Store litter boxes and pet food out of sight and ensure the property is aired out sufficiently before showing to potential buyers. Put out some fresh flowers. Fresh flowers can brighten any room as can a nice potted plant.
5. Handyman Services. Ensure faucets don't leak, cupboard doors open and close properly and light switches and fixtures function.
6. Music. Soft background music can really set the scene during a viewing or open house. It can also camouflage the noise of traffic or neighbours but ensure the volume is very low and not blaring!
"We've had clients who want to do the staging themselves and just want a project plan to follow. Other clients want us to complete the project from beginning to end. Skilled and experienced home stagers are able to this with little or no interruption to the daily lives of clients," says Kleim. "The reaction of our clients is our favourite part. They are speechless when they see the transformation their home has undergone which quickly turns to excitement when their property sells so quickly!"
- 30 -
About Epic Empire Designs
EED is a Vancouver based home staging company serving the Greater Vancouver area. The owner, Heather Kleim, has been home staging for more than 10 years, more recently for 4 years in Florence, Italy. They specialize not only in home staging and organizing but in providing outstanding client experiences. For more information visit www.epicempiredesigns.ca or contact Heather Kleim at 778-232-1864.