Ouch - It was wearing a yellow jacket but did not work for Century 21

Real Estate Agent with Keller Williams Realty Professionals MN Broker #40288835



To my C-21 friends ~ my apologies!

Summer is winding down but the number of stinging insects, such as yellow jackets and wasps, flying through the air, have not. In my case getting stung results in a big ouch, temporary redness, swelling and itching at the site of the sting. Hoewever for a small number of people with severe venom allergy,  these stings may be life-threatening.

The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI) and the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) urge people who suffer from a stinging insect allergy to take extra precautions and to carry epinephrine with them at all times.

"September through October is prime sting season; a nest that had a few dozen yellow jackets in July may have thousands in late September" said David B.K. Golden, MD, Fellow of the AAAAI and member of the AAAAI's Insect Allergy Committee. "Therefore, be careful when doing yard work or attending football games this fall."

Up to 5% of Americans are at risk for severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reactions from stinging insects. Unfortunately, most people are not aware that they are allergic to insect stings until after experiencing a reaction.

When an allergic person is stung, his or her body produces an antibody called Immunoglobulin E (IgE). The venom reacts with the IgE antibodies which trigger the release of histamine and other chemicals that cause allergic reactions. Severe allergic reactions to insect stings can involve many body organs and may develop rapidly. This reaction is called anaphylaxis.

Symptoms of anaphylaxis are:

  • Itching and hives over large areas of the body
  • Swelling in the throat or tongue
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Dizziness
  • Stomach cramps
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea 
  • In severe cases, a rapid fall in blood pressure may result in shock or loss of consciousness

The AAAAI's Insect Allergy Committee recommends the following tips to avoid insect stings:

  • Stay out of the "territory" of stinging insects' nests
  • Hire a trained exterminator to destroy nest and hives near your home
  • Don't drink from a straw or can that you cannot see inside of, this is a favorite place for yellow jackets to hide
  • Do not swat at stinging insects if encountered by them
  • Avoid wearing heavy perfume and brightly colored clothing outdoors
  • Keep all food covered outside until eaten

In my area of the Brainerd Lakes in Minnesota, ground nests are common and difficult to find until you disturb one ( then run like the wind). Yellowjackets also love piles of old hay or straw. They nest under stairs, in dark cavities and get particularly annoyed by vibrations.

Play safe , they do not play nice!

Posted by

Welcome from the Brainerd Lakes - where outdoor and indoor recreational opportunites abound. Looking to buy on one of our many lakes? Ready to move up or down?  Having trouble selling your home? 

Call me!


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
ActiveRain Community
Minnesota Crow Wing County Crosslake Breezy Point
Addicted to Active Rain
Almost Anything Goes
Diary of a Realtor
Minnesota Bloggers (Don'cha know)
FREEDOM Office: Professionals Working from Home
kathleen lordbock
keller williams brainerd lakes
top brainerd agent
selling lake homes
brainerd homes for sale
crosslake homes

Spam prevention
Show All Comments
April Solomon
Keller Williams Professionals - Swannanoa, NC

This is wonderful info for all concerned. I myself am allergic to the sting of bees and know first hand what you are talking about

Thanks again

Sep 10, 2009 06:21 AM #1
michelangelo vasco
mvp realty inc. - Manhattan, NY

I have been attacked several times by these tiny beast, luckily I'm not allergic

Sep 10, 2009 06:44 AM #2
Jason Crouch
Austin Texas Homes, LLC - Austin, TX
Broker - Austin Texas Real Estate (512-796-7653)

I am thankful that I have only been stung by a bee one time - when I was six.  Unfortunately, it was in the middle of my forehead.  Yikes - it hurt!  Thankfully, I haven't ever been stung by a wasp or yellowjacket.

Sep 10, 2009 07:39 AM #3
William Feela
Realtor, Whispering Pines Realty 651-674-5999 No.

Kathleen, being off the farm, we had numerous encounters with these insects every year.  No one in the fmily ever had a reaction.  Then about 5 years ago, my dad, who gets stung several times a year, was stung while in the garden.  2 minutes later he was laying on the ground.  He went from no allergies to be stings, to a life and death occurance. 


You gave some great info here.

Sep 10, 2009 09:59 AM #4
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Kathleen Lordbock

Keller Williams Realty Professionals
central mn real estate questions?

Additional Information