Bill and Susie are about to sell their biggest investment - their home. They've put several improvements into the property every year. Bill and Susie want to get the best Realtor. Here's what I recommend for the Omaha Metro Area real estate market. Make appointments with 3 top Realtors in your area. Listen to their marketing presentations before making your decision. Here are 6 specific things to look for in a Realtor:
1. First, the Realtor should act enthusiastically about the opportunity to market your home. Enthusiasm is so important. If the Realtor is not eager to get a positive message about your home to the market then don't hire them.
2. The Agent should prepare a report on houses like yours in the area and the final closing prices? This report is critical in assisting you and your Realtor on arriving at a list price for your home. The houses they compare to yours should be like your home. If you live in a 2-Story you don't want to know what Ranches are selling for in your area.
3. Does the Realtor have a prepared marketing plan? The plan must contain more than getting your home listed on the MLS and placing a sign in the yard. Look for a strong blend of effective internet marketing and marketing to a wide pool of area Realtors (regardless of the Company they work for) and community networking.
4. What is the Realtor's area of expertise? If you are selling a condo/townhome then ask to see the Agent's success with selling on condos. Perhaps the Realtor is an expert on your part of town. Perhaps the Realtor is very sensitive to your culture and will make you feel at ease. Find out if their strengths match your needs.
5. The Realtor should prepare a statement showing you what your expenses will be (including the commission) in selling your home for a specific price. A great Realtor will have the tools handy during the interview so they can prepare several of the statements if you haven't settled on a final price.
6. The Realtor should present a clear Communication Plan to you. Do they promise to send you a weekly or monthly activity report? Do they promise to call you after every showing to discuss the Buyer's reactions, likes and dislikes? Will the Realtor promise to return phone calls? Does the Realtor have an email address they check at least once a day?
A lot of Realtors don't want you to have this checklist because they fall short of the mark. Don't make that mistake. Like Bill and Susie, you're risking a lot and need the best choice. When you are ready to make the Realtor appointments I hope I'll be privileged to make a presentation to you. Give me a call at 402-697-4251 or email me at Marie.Otis@cbshome.com.