My friend and Social Media / PR exper Gini Dietrich posted one of the best lists of how to use Linkedin I've seen. Linkedin is an often overlooked social media, brand building and networking tool that I use daily here at Showhomes.
Here's the info from Gini's post. Take some time to read her blog - it's excellent:
If you don’t know how to get started on LinkedIn, please allow me to introduce you to my friend Jason Baer, who wrote the BEST blog post on using the tool I’ve ever seen.
Here are my 22 tips for dominating LinkedIn.
1. Upload a Good Photo
2. Complete Your Entire Profile, Including Prior Jobs
3. Include Email Address In Your Last Name (easier to contact you)
4. Use Keywords Liberally in Your Profile (think of it as an SEO page)
5. Link to Web Sites Using Keywords, not “My Web Site”
6. Link to Your Blog’s RSS Feed
7. Update Your Profile Often (keeps you on your contacts’ news stream), but Not Egregiously
8. Create Status Updates (like Twitter and Facebook)
9. Activate LinkedIn Applications that Connect to Your Content
- WordPress & Bloglink
- Company Buzz (Twitter search)
10. Invite Anyone You Meet in a Business Setting
11. Use Custom Invite Text
12. Find Connections Through LinkedIn Search (company search is especially good)
13. Browse Your Connections’ Connections to Find People You Forgot or Missed
14. Invite Your Contacts from Outlook, Gmail, et al
15. Liberally Provide and Request Recommendations
- Use Custom Request Text
- Provide Guidance to Reviewers on Themes and Keywords You’d Like Included
16. Send Messages to Your Connections About Job Openings, Events
- Breaks Through Clutter of Inbox
Build Your LinkedIn Reputation
17. Set up a Search and Answer Questions in the LinkedIn Answers Section
- Search can also be set as an RSS feed
18. Join Groups (only enough so that you can participate in each one)
- Great way to meet new connections through group discussions
19. Consider Creating Your Own Group
Using LinkedIn for Business Development
20. Connect with Clients, Former Clients, and Prospects
21. Use Search to Find Appropriate Contacts at Target Companies
22. Use Search to Find Background Information on Personnel at Target Companies
We use linkedin at Showhomes to communicate with Realtors, Brokers, mortgage folks and homeowners. It's a great way to build a circle of influence and get your message out. I like Linkedin groups but find that writing recomendations for Realtors we think really do an excellent job is a great way to start a good business relationship.
How do you use Linkedin in your market?