In the Columbus Ga, Fort Benning, area, the Walker - Peters - Langdon House is located in the Historic District on Broadway. It is the oldest home in Columbus and dates back to 1828. Surprisingly it is believed to be a pre-fabricated house. Federal cottages were built during this period with the idea of the purchasers picking them up and moving them to their land. The original owner Colonel Walker sold the home to the Peters family. The Peters family moved into the house because they were worried about Indians and this cottage stood in a more populated area than their previous home.
The clap-board siding is orginal, the cedar shingles have been restored and many of the hand-blown glass window panes are also original. The Walker - Peters - Langdon House is also a museum and open for tours. Contact the Historic Columbus Foundation for more information.