Here is a great opportunity to help increase the urban forest in our community: the City of Calgary’s Neighbourwoods program. The City digs the holes; volunteers are needed to distribute the trees and the tree-gator watering bag. Here’s the lowdown:
Sunday September 27 is Neighbourwoods Tree Planting Day in South Calgary / Altadore / Garrison Woods
Even if you did not request a tree, consider signing up to volunteer. This is a great volunteer opportunity for families and teens. Volunteers are needed for the following:
· Signing in people at the Community Hall
· Distributing the tree-gator bags at the Community Hall
· Tree delivery for participants without vehicles (they are small trees – small truck or mini van or car with big trunk)
· Planting trees in holes dug by the City and attaching the tree-gator bag – help out your neighbours who are unable to undertake planting
If you ordered a tree, here is the schedule for Planting Day:
· 9:30-10:00 AM - Arrive at South Calgary/ Altadore Community Centre – 3130 16th Street SW, please have your $30 tree-gator fee ready to present to your community association lead with checks being made out to the community association, not the city.
· 10:00 AM - A mandatory planting demonstration will follow
· 10:20 AM onward - Following the planting demo, trees with bags will be picked up (tagged by species and address), distributed, and planted by homeowners and volunteers.
Important Note for Neighbourwoods participants:
You should have been contacted by the City during the month of August to determine the number of trees and the tree species that you prefer. During the first three weeks of September, the City will be digging the holes for the trees. If you have not been contacted by the City, please contact Peter Broda via 3-1-1.
If you are able to volunteer, please contact Shauna at email@example.com