Fortune Magazine's Top 100 Best Companies to Work For Provides A Lesson In Blogging to Real Estate Companies- Part I"
Real Estate companies who are just stepping into the blogosphere or are considering blogging have great R&D material from the companies on the 2009 Fortune 100 Best Companies To Work For List. I chose to analyze this list as a resource for the real estate industry for three primary reasons:
TOP 3 REASONS THE TOP 100 BEST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR LIST IS AN INVALUABLE RESOURCE FOR REAL ESTATE COMPANIES:
1. Spicey with Variety- It consists of global corporations, large companies, and small businesses and thus in terms of business structure runs parallel to the make-up of those companies that exist in the real estate industry: mom and pop companies, small brokerages, larger brokerages, international franchises.
2. Master Listeners- It is compiled of companies who listen and are responsive to their internal customers (i.e. employees and vendor partners). Businesses who satisfy their internal customers are often successful in satisfying their external customers (i.e. their marketplace) which leads me to big bad ole reason #3
3. Excellent Communicators- I hypothesized that based on reason #2 it wouldn't be a stretch that these companies were good at communicating and would have a presence in the blogosphere. It turned out that 48 of these 100 companies are micro-blogging or blogging. These companies are listening and responding to their market.
TOP 100 BEST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR WHO ARE BLOGGING
The companies who are blogging from the top 100 best places to work for, their ranking on the top 100 list,the type of blogging methods they have adopted, the location(URL) of their blogs and a of description of their blogs.
MULTIPLE BLOGS/TEAM BLOGGING
- Adobe Systems-Network of Adobe blogs, Adobe Blog Aggregator-External customers and experts that blog about Adobe, All Feeds for Blogs (Internal and External) about Adobe Products -Ranked #11
- Alston + Bird LLP-Alston +Bird LLP Corporate blog home page-Corporate blog home page that consists of six individual blogs.-Ranked #36
- Cisco Systems-The Platform- Cisco's Corporate Blog, Channels, Collaboration, Data Center Networks, DigitAll Consumers, Dig Media Rev, Ecolibrium, High Tech Policy, Innovation, Mobility, Security, SP360 Service Provider, Virtual Worlds, Web Experience -Ranked #6
- EBay-Ebay Ink Blog- Employee's Views and Insights on EBay, Ebay Developer's Blog, EBay Insider Blog,The Official ProStores Blog, EBay Certified Provider Program Blog,EBay Partner Network Blog- Ranked #83
- Gilbane-Eight employees and Executivees from Gilbane are on the Gilbane blogging team for the Healthcare Building Ideas Blog.- Ranked #91
- Google-The Official Google Blog- Google's Corporate Blog. Google Webmaster Central Blog-News on crawling and indexing sites for the google index,Google Analytics Blog,Google's Public Policy Blog,Google Code Blog, Google Geo Developer's Blog, Google WebToolkit Blog, OpenSource at Google Blog, Android Developers Blog, Google Wave Developer Blog, Google AJAX Search API Blog- Ranked #4
- Intuit-Online Database Blog-Quickbase- Corporate Blog. The AppGap- Blog Sponsored by Intuit Quickbase and BeeLine Labs-Ranked #49
- Juniper Networks-Juniper Networks Blogs-Homepage for network of 3 Juniper Blogs.- Ranked #84
- Mayo Clinic-Mayo Clinic Community Blogs Home Page- Homepage for a network of 8 blogs. Ranked #63
- Methodist Hospital System-Mymethodist blog-Corporate blog, AskCharles, Emotional Eating and Body Image, Honoring Dr. DeBakey, Patient Stories,Weight Loss Support-Ranked #8
- Microsoft-Microsoft Blogs Community Page- Videos and blogs from Microsoft employees Ranked #38
- NetApp-NetApp Communities- A networked community of 52 blogs. The bloggers include cofounder Dave Hitz, executives, technical directors, solutions architects, and systems engineers-Ranked #1
- Salesforce.com Blog-Salesforce Community Blogs Home Page- Homepage for a network of 5 Salesforce.com Blogs.- Ranked #55
- SAS-Blogs.SAS- Corporate blog home page of SAS that highlights 5 featured SAS blogs and 17 RSS Feeds for SAS blogs.-Ranked #20
- Vanderbilt University-Inside Vandy- Vanderbilt University's Student News Source with a network of 7 blogs.-Ranked #98
- Zappos.com-Zappos Corporate Blog Community Page- Home page for the Zapos Network of Blogs. The network of blogs consists of 15 seperate blogs each with an administrator and a team of bloggers.-Ranked #23
- Accenture-Accenture Green IT Blog- Corporate Blog- Ranked #97
- Herman Miller-Herman Miller Blog- Corporate Blog- Ranked #89
- Marriott International-Marriott On The Move- Marriott Corporate Blog from Bill Marriott, Chairman & CEO of Marriott International.; Marriott In the Kitchen- Marriott's Blog from Brad Nelson, corporate chef and vice president of culinary.- Ranked #78
- Perkins Coie-Private Equity Viewpoints-Corporate Blog- Ranked #82
- Principle Financial Group-Leadership Development Rotation Program Blog- Ranked #17
- Rackspace Hosting-The Official Rackspace Blog- Corporate Blog- Ranked #43
- Texas Instruments Corporate Blog-TI Video 360 Blog- Texas Instruments Blog- Ranked #65
- Whole Foods Market-Whole Story- Whole Foods Corporate Blog- Ranked #22
Qualcomm-Gobi On The Road- Gobi Blog- Ranked #16
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY BLOGS
- Arkansas Children's Hospital-Gears4Ears Blog- Blog about Arkansas Children's Hospital Endurance Ride- A Cause Sponsored by ACH, not a corporate blog- Ranked #85
- Baptist Health South Florida-Baptist Health's Hurricane Blog- Baptist Health Hurricane Season Blog- Ranked #79
- FedEx-Citizenship Blog- Blog about FedEx Corporate Responsibility Programs- Ranked #90
- Quicken Loans-What's the Diff?-Corporate blog located off of Quicken Loans Careers webPage about the things that make the difference in business and in life.- Ranked #29
PARTICIPATION FROM TARGET MARKETS BLOGS
- Bright Horizons-Mom to Mom- Bright Horizons moms' blogs authored by Commuter Mom, Modern Mom, News Mom, Green Mom, Crafty Mom, and Cooking Mom.-Ranked #80
- S.C Johnson and Son-3 Blogs written by 3 Mom Bloggers-House and Home, Food for Thought, More with Less, Getting Organized- Ranked #81
- Starbucks-Starbucks Corporate Blog- Starbucks Ideas in Action Blog which discusses topics from the Starbucks Social Network Community My Starbucks Idea.- Ranked #24
- Umpqua Bank- Save Hard Spend Smart- Umpqua Bank Blog about ways to save money as well as three cause blogs: YWCA, Boys and Girls Club, and Kids Unlimited
ACTION ITEM FOR REAL ESTATE COMPANIES
This post is Part I of a four part series on "Fortune Magazine's Top 100 Best Companies to Work For Provides A Lesson In Blogging to Real Estate Companies".
Study this list and the categories. Think about the Unique Value Proposition these brands have and how they have incorporated their brands into their blogs. Take your favorite blogs, the ones that strike you as hitting the mark in brand, content, consistency, and have an unforgettable quality. Subscribe to them.
I will blog my take-aways from this list in Part II of this series. Stay tuned.
Does you need a blog marketing strategy? Whether you are just getting started blogging or have been blogging for awhile consider a blogging tune-up.