These helpful, money-saving home improvement ideas are brought to you by Bill Young, Real Estate Agent, Twin Falls/Kimberly, Idaho, Magic Valley Realty, 208-316-3921 email@example.com and Home Warranty of America,Inc.
WHAT IS IT?
In short, xeriscaping means using creative landscaping to conserve water. The technique
uses native plants which are best suited to the area. While this landscaping technique
started in high drought areas, it is broadening in its appeal in all geographic areas.
What are the Benefits?
• Saving water is the key benefit of this technique. We apply 50% of our
residential water to plants and lawns. This technique can reduce this water usage
• Minimal maintenance which consists of occasional pruning and weeding.
• Save on fertilizers and pesticides which are usually unnecessary because
sufficient nutrients are provided by healthy, organic soil.
• Reduce pollution because the more of your yard you xeriscape, the less turf areas
you have to mow, potentially allowing you to change to a reel mower.
• Raise your property value with xeriscaping which can also offset the cost of the
• Provide a natural wildlife habitat through the use of native plants.
You can start designing your xeriscape yourself, but we suggest you draw out plans
before you begin, or hire a professional designer. Plan your property from an aerial view
While we can’t tell you everything about xeriscaping in this article, here are a few more
basic principles and suggestions:
• Study the natural drainage patterns, hills, and valleys of your property. You may
want to add interest through terraces, rocks, timber and other natural elements.
• Think about areas for seating, walkways, outdoor dining and any other activities.
• There are more great ideas for xeriscaping from improving your soil to mulching,
irrigation, groundcover and maintenance. Use Web sources to learn more and
also contact your local nursery who may know designers and can acquaint you
with native plants.
Be sure to check your local
ordinances for landscape
bylaws prior to starting
These articles from Bill Young, Real Estate Agent, Twin Falls/Kimberly, Idaho,
Magic Valley Realty, 208-316-3921
firstname.lastname@example.org and Home Warranty of America, Inc., will help you improve your home,
creating a healthier environment while saving energy and the planet.
Stay tuned for more!
For more information on Kimberly, Idaho, please click here.