Agriculture plays a big role in Dunn County
The years 1822, 1830, 1846, 1853, 1893, and 1901 are all of historical significance and importance in the early history of Menomonie. In 1822, Harding Perkins, representing James H. Lockwood and Joseph Rolette, erected a lumber mill at the confluence of Wilson Creek and the Red Cedar - former site of the Wisconsin Milling Company. A sudden overflowing of the river swept away the dam and mill.
In 1830, after a lengthy disagreement over the authority of the Indian agent to grant permissions, Lockwood and Rolette again set up lumbering operations on the site after receiving permission from the federal government. This first permanent settlement on the site of the City of Menomonie preceded the settlements of Madison, (1837), St. Paul (1838), Hudson (1841), and Eau Claire (1845).
Capt. William Wilson and John H. Knapp purchased the milling operation in 1846. Captain Wilson, his wife and family established residence in the area the same year.
In 1853, Andrew Tainter and Henry L. Stout acquired interest in the company and a corporation was formed known as Knapp, Stout & Company. In 1873, Knapp, Stout & Company had grown from a mill producing 100,000 feet of lumber in 1830 to the greatest lumber corporation in the world turning out 5,706,602 feet of lumber. The company owned 115,000 acres of pine land and employed 1,200 men.
One of the area's most famous landmarks, the Mabel Tainter Memorial Building, was built in 1890.