I wanted to share Fireplace safety information from a home inspector a couple of states to the south, Michael Thornton.
Michael talks funny... (the font) I think of it as his Tennessee accent.
Fireplaces - Hidden Dangers...
With old man winter just beginning to clear his throat with the first cool snaps of the winter season, many Americans begin firing up their fireplaces. But before you start enjoying the ambiance of the warm embers glow with the blanket, a bottle of bubbly and your sweetie, is your fireplace really safe from the hidden dangers that most folks do not even know about?
Statistically, over 1/3rd of Americans use solid fuel (wood) as their primary source of heat. Most of these are in rural areas. Statistics also show that 36% of residential home fires start in the fireplace or wood burning stove.
When was the last time you:
- Had your chimney or flue evaluated by a licensed chimney sweep? Most residential fires are caused by creosote build-up and flue fires.
- Checked the air inlets? Some modern fireplaces draw air from the exterior. Insects find these protected areas a cool spot to build their nests. Blocked inlets can cause poor combustion and CO to build up.
- When was the last time you checked to see if tree branches were hanging over the flue?
- When was the last time you checked the batteries in your smoke detector? Statistics show that most deaths could have been prevented. Missing/dead batteries was the number one cause.
- Do not use incendiaries to start a fire. Flammable liquids are unsafe.
- Use only seasoned hardwoods. Soft, green wood causes creosote to build up in flues and liners.
- Keep firewood away from your home. We do not want to bring in WDO's do we?
- Build smaller fires. These burn better and produce less smoke.
By practicing a few "rules of the road" you and your sweetie can cuddle and enjoy the bubbly☺☺☺
© 2009 michael thornton | complete home inspections, inc. | brentwood, tn | 615.661.0297 | www.completehomeinspectionsonline.com
Helping YOU Live YOUR American Dream...
For all your inspection needs in the Brentwood, Franklin or Nashville, TN real estate markets, Call us.
Scan the QR code below for business card info