Occasionally I run across a new client, that like many, asks a lot of questions. I love questions. I would rather my clients ask 300 questions than leave one out that would make them buy or sell a home without knowing everything.
However, there are some questions that new clients ask that could get a Realtor in trouble. They are normal questions. Generally they are not hateful or misleading, just very tricky for an agent to answer. Often times, we can't answer it at all.
Here are some questions and why we can't, or shouldn't, answer them:
- Am I getting a good interest rate? Great question! But, I do not really know. If I said yes, I could be very wrong. As a Realtor I specialize in the Sales side of Real Estate. The mortgage industry literally changes daily. Mortgage related questions vary on MANY different factors. I may not know the complete answer, but I know excellent Mortgage Professionals that would.
- What should I offer? Great Question! A home is a personal and emotional decision. The home may be worth one amount, but is it worth it to you? First, decide what in your heart you feel the home is worth. I will then put together a list of Comparable Sold Properties and show you a range of what Comparable homes are selling for. This is absolutely the best way to make an educated decision. You should be in control of what your ultimate Sale Price is, I am your tool to help you get there.
- What do you think this home would sell for in 3 years? As a Realtor I have the ability to follow trends, but life and the Real Estate Industry is ever changing. There is no telling what could happen next year, or even next week. I would love to share the Market Trends with you, but keep in mind that nothing is for certain.
- Are the schools good? Great Question! I have 2 children and I want them to go to great schools as well. However, my child's experience may be different than another. Most school districts have a Report Card online that will show you how the school rates with the State in comparison with others. Would you like for me to send you the link?
- How is the neighborhood? This could be a good question too, but this is a BIG No No for an agent to answer in a few different ways. We have Fair Housing Laws to abide by. Also, trying to sell one neighborhood over another could be considered "steering". This could have Major Legal Ramifications on your agent. I probably have resources that can help you make a wise decision.
- Should I be worried about this on my inspection report? Great Question! Unfortunately, I may not know the answer. It is always best to get a licensed person out to take a look at it. i.e. Electrician, a/c and heat, Termite. These professionals can give you the ins and outs as to why you might want to consider a certain repair. Would you like the name and number of a few to call?
As an agent I am your partner to finding the right house and help you make the right choices. I will do everything in my power to get all of your questions answered. But if I say I can not answer a question, it may be because it is not my area of expertise or it could even be a violation of our Code of Ethics or law.
Please, ask questions. Even ask me the questions I listed above. If I can't answer it I would be more than happy to find a resource for you. The more questions you ask, the more I know you will make the right decision on a home.