I'm Big Ten college educated middleclass with 16 years working professional experience. 8 years in lending, 8 years in real estate, and 2 years in employment. My experience in all these industries and in my personal life has provided me with the following viewpoints and ideas regarding our current state as a nation:
I'm seeing a lot of ideas regarding fixing our current economical problems come from different industries with some solutions sounding better than others, but most are in some way, shape, or form; self serving leaning towards the educated and extremely wealthy demographic groups.
Here are some of the big problems our nation (and world) face currently that I believe need addressed and possible solutions proposed. I don't claim to have all the correct answers, but I believe the media is corporately/politically driven and many of our real problems aren't even being talked about to the extent that they should.
- Our Political System is Broken- Most high level politicians are bought via campaign contributions before they are even elected. Everyone knows this happens, but do we fully realize the level of bias it creates? I've heard talk about campaign reform, but how can they when it doesn't serve their own best interest. We (as a people) need to change the way officials are elected to office.
- Our society's focus on the well-being of self before others is wrong- This needs taught at a young age, and yes I realize many people still won't get it. This grows up to cover all kinds of issues like energy and the environment.
- TAX USE- I think most people would agree that we need to pay taxes, the real problem is where the money is spent. I don't agree with the WAR money we spend and the udder lack of EDUCATION, HOUSING, FOOD, and HEALTHCARE money. Our government's top expenditures should always be EDUCATION, HOUSING, FOOD, and HEALTHCARE for the people... If you can effectively take away the need to spend $$ for these basic necessities for the general public, I believe we can become a much more productive society.
- No more Capitalism- Instead how about Fair Trade? "Capitalism = Greed" in my book. Many companies take advantage of the consumer and employees at a benefits to the investors/owners. Greed at many different levels, from consumers to producers put us into many of our current problems.
- A real separation of church and state is needed- Take religion out of politics. It shouldn't matter what happens to you after you die, because we are discussing what's going on now.
- A strong middle class structure provides for the strength of a nation.
Ok- I want/need to keep this short, so here is my best rough draft solution and thought process:
Who should be the leaders of our country? Where should that candidate pool come from? Our educators, our medical and/or scientific community? If they are teaching our future generations, shouldn't they assist in leading our country?
How many representatives do we really need? We have the technology, can we move to a more democratic system and reduce representation in that way?
Our educational system need help and lots of it. I believe this is mainly due to the breakdown of the family structure within the US. We leave children behind everyday...how do we stop this? (the answer is not religion-any religion for that matter)
How do we fix tax expenditure issues. Why do we have bills submitted with items that have nothing to do with each other? This is the pork that's talked about and it has to stop. If proposed legislation doesn't have a shown relationship within the subject matter, the legislation needs separated.
We should have public healthcare. Quit trying to scare me and say it's socialism. Libraries, public education, police, firefighters are all publicly funded socialist ideas then. Stop being stupid. We should have have the same healthcare- public officials and the general public. There could still be private healthcare to supplement if needed.
Quit writing laws to protect businesses. The people will survive if they don't have laws written against them.
I am seriously upset that my much of our tax dollars have gone to kill and wage war, bail out large corporate institutions, given to defense contractors, etc. and not healthcare, education, housing, and agriculture. I shouldn't be alone on this. I feel like I am/have been taxed without representation! I say a democratic decision could be made on the percentages of total budget, then representatives can be accountable for execution.
Why as a society, do we allow our public servants such as firemen, policemen, educators, researchers, etc. get financially rewarded at lower-middle class incomes in this "Capitalist" society? We have individuals that can play sports, drive, entertain, that have more money than they can spend. I'm talking about values- how can we change things so that our future generations have education, health, and happiness?
You can call me unpatriotic, say it's treason- you would just be shouting fear (of change). Our current governmental system was designed by white men in wigs. Things are different now and we need serious change. I challenge you to think outside the box and really evaluate the world around you.
I would love to hear any other possible solutions to issues such as these. Thanks for reading my little rant. Please understand I care about others deeply which is why I am discontent with out current status and want to initiate discussion and help implement change to improve- while I still exist.