Halloween can be fun and festive for people, but for pets it can be dangerous. Here are some tips from Turn-Key Properties LLC to help you ensure that your pet has a happy and safe Halloween ...
1) Chocolate in all forms - especially dark or baking chocolate - can be dangerous for dogs and cats. Symptoms of significant chocolate ingestion may include vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, urination, and heart rate - even seizures.
2) Candies containing the artificial sweetener xylitol can be poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol sweetener can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which leads to depression, lack of coordination and seizures. In cases of significantly low blood sugar, liver failure has been known to occur.
3) Ingesting tin foil and cellophane candy wrappers can pose a choking hazard or cause intestinal blockage.
4) Dogs can have lethal tails, wagging all over the place. Don't leave any lighted candles or Jack-O-Lanterns where they could be knocked over by a wagging tail or curious cat.
5) If you do dress up your pet, make sure the costume isn't annoying or unsafe. It should not constrict the animal's movement or hearing or impede his ability to breathe, bark or meow. Place a reflective collar on your pet if trick or treating at night. You can also place a flashing LED strobe on them so they can be seen.
6) Don't leave your pet outside unattended on Halloween (or on the days preceding or following this holiday). Halloween pranks committed against pets can be vicious, and black cats are particularly at risk.
7) When you do answer the door for visitors, make sure your pet doesn't suddenly head for the door. In case your pet does escape, make sure that it is wearing proper identification. Pets with proper identification are much more likely to be returned to their owners.
8) If you decide to ride your horse with a pumpkin for a head, make sure you can see out of the jack-o-lantern.
Following these few simple tips will help keep your pets safe this holiday season!