It's funny how much rain we're having this year in Tennessee. Some of us are starting to think that we're going to mildew!
When it's raining outside, many sellers really hate to show their home - here are a few tips to help you overcome your reluctance to show your home in wet wearther.
1. Understand that People Looking At Homes in The Rain Are Serious Buyers Just like you, buyers hate to be outside in the rain - and their REALTOR probably hates it more than they do! Unbrellas and cars don't always mesh. So you want to be available during the rain for those serious buyers to see your home!
2. Prepare your home for the wet weather. To prepare for wet feet and wet umbrella's make it simple for people to leave their shoes and umbrellas outside. If you have a front porch, place a small bench outside with a note saying - "Sit here to remove your shoes" If you have any shoe covers, leave them by the bench in a basket. (If you want to buy some, big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes have them.) If you don't have a front porch, place a basket on a towel or bath mat by your doors (entry doors) and put a note on it that says - "Please leave your wet shoes here". Drape a bath towel across the basket for your guests to wipe up any drips. You may also want to leave a roll of paper towels in the basket as well.
3. Turn on every light in the house and open every blind and curtain. More than ever, on a rainy day, you need to have all the light you can get focused on the features of your home.
4. Warm up the house. When it rains in the fall and winter, we automatically feel chilled. So, turn up the heat a bit in the house - around 70 - 72 degrees. If you have a gas fireplace, leave the logs burning.
5. Warm up your guests. Nothing smells better than cinnamon. (In fact there is some interesting research about men and smells of home that's a topic for another blog post). Make a pot of spiced cider and leave it in a thermos for your guests on the kitchen counter. Add a few gingersnaps or chocolate chip cookies, mugs, and napkins- and your guests will linger to drink the warm cider and look a few minutes longer at your home.
So, when your agent or the appointment center calls for a showing appointment on a rainy day - say "YES" and sell that house!