- I responded to a post today and wrote possibly the longest comment I've ever written before so I figured heck, might as well turn it into my own post. Instead of just wasting it or under-utilizing the information.
Michele my blog is mainly focused on Search Engine and website oriented content. I hope you can find something useful I've got over 13 SEO posts right now and add more all the time. http://activerain.com/blogs/overlandpark/tags/seo
If you have a specific topic or questions, send me an e-mail and I'll try and get a post thrown up for you.
- I wonder if it is better to find a niche and work hard establishing great , steady content to blog and web pages or is building linking better ?
It depends on how you would like to be found. My A.R blog is a mis-mash of tons of different content pulling in all kinds of people. All depends on how you like to play the game.
- Is RSS important and well, what does it actually do ?
RSS stands for (Really Simple Syndication), its extremely important in todays blog driven world. On all the websites I create I make sure I've got a blog on the site somewhere now, because it really helps for Search Engine crawlablility as well as allows people to read your content without having to visit your website.
- Is Google really king and is it worth worrying so much about anymore?
Yes Google semi-sadly really is king, I've got a picture in my SEO group of this years COMScore break down and Google has 46-52% of the market share.
- I feel like I am covering the basics and getting an audience- at least good hits BUT what is it that makes them stick, and come back ?
Constant content, make sure and start writing articles ahead of time. If you don't have daily article or updates try and at least make sure you've got every other day or so. Its a really good idea to write articles in draft mode and just store them up when you've got time to write so in times when you don't you can easily get a well written post up.
- How often should I freshen up website content ?
Uhhh, stated in the previous question ;-)
- Is it ok to blog on ActiveRain but also post it elsewhere or is that double dipping and a no-no?
Is it ok? I would suggest it more as a must. If you don't have multiple avenues for pushing out your name its a good idea to not bother at all :-P Kind of like Robert G Allen's idea of "Multiple Streams of Income". Always have multiple blogs at the same time. Even if you have to post an article on one blog and then re-syndicate it onto your other blogs just make sure you link to the original article.