Palm Beach Florida- Back In The Day- Guess Who Trivia!
Palm Beach Florida was really popping in the era between World War I and the Great Depression!
Florida was really the rockin’ out place to be, to party and to live it up.
So here are some highlights- trivia you may not know!
- Al Capone dreamed of making his home in Boca Raton Florida. He started to settle there but was put into prison. He later settled in Miami where he lived out his years and died of syphilis.
- John Dillinger and his gang fired machine guns into the air at a house in Palm Beach on New Year’s Eve of 1933-34.
- Hoagy Carmichael was a clerk in a West Palm Beach law firm before he made his fortune in music.
- In 1921 President Warren Harding pushed for the creation of the Intracoastal Waterway because he was stranded with some people in a channel near Fort Lauderdale. He never forgot his miserable day in Florida.
- The famous Architect who inspired much of Boca Raton and Palm Beach’s homes and shopping centers- Addison Mizner- buried his pet spider monkey ‘Little Johnny Brown’ somewhere on Worth Avenue. For those of you who do not know, Worth Avenue is second only to Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles.
- Al Capone’s son was arrested in North Miami in 1965 for shoplifting aspirin and flashlight batteries totalling $3.50.
- Babe Ruth was staying in Palm Beach in 1930 holding out for the salary of $85,000. He eventually signed a 2 year contract for $80,000 per year which was $5000 more than President Hoover made. This made Babe Ruth the highest paid baseball player in history.
- George Gershwin stayed in Palm Beach to write the opera, ‘Porgy and Bess’ in 1935.
- In 1929 Boca Raton banned public begging, brawling and stubborn children!
- The first radio station in Palm Beach county was WJNO which opened on July 31, 1936.
Do you have any Palm Beach Trivia to share?
Make your own mark by selling your house with Nestor and Katerina Gasset- while we all have fun with trivia, there is nothing trivial about getting your house sold!
Photo Credit to Nationaltrust.org blog.
To view Florida Short Sales- Click here. We know Palm Beach County Short Sales and Port St Lucie Florida Short Sales and will help you get your home Sold if you need to Sell your home and help you buy your home in Palm Beach County Florida : Call us today.
Palm Beach- Back In The Day- Guess Who Trivia! - Copyright © 2009 by Katerina Gasset* all rights reserved*