Energy Tax Credit

Real Estate Agent with Sopris Realty

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (Recovery Act), enacted earlier this year, expanded two home energy tax credit: the non-business energy property credit and the residential energy efficient property credit.

That means you can perform energy-saving home improvements and reduce your 2009 tax hit. The credit equals 30 percent of what you spend on eligible energy-saving improvements, up to a maximum tax credit of $1,500 for the combined 2009 and 2010 tax years. The IRS says that by spending as little as $5,000 before the end of this year on eligible upgrades, taxpayers can save as much as $1,500 on their federal tax return.

What is included in the energy tax credit? The cost of certain high-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and stoves that burn biomass all qualify, along with labor costs for installing these items.

The cost of energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs also qualify for the credit, though the cost of installing these items does not count.

Before making any investments, be sure to check with your accountant or the IRS to be certain that your upgrades qualify for the credit.

Comments (3)

Kathleen Daniels, Probate & Trust Specialist
KD Realty - 408.972.1822 - San Jose, CA
Probate Real Estate Services

Brad - thanks for sharing even more creative ways encourage spending to boost the economy.

Nov 27, 2009 02:27 AM
Anne Hensel
South Beaches Real Estate Professionals - Saint Petersburg, FL
Realtor - Broker - St. Pete Beach, Treasure Island

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about replacing my regular hot water heater with a tankless one.

Nov 27, 2009 02:30 AM
John Pusa
Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Crest - Glendale, CA
Your All Time Realtor With Exceptional Service

Hi Brad,

Thank you an informative and helpful article.

John Pusa

Nov 27, 2009 03:07 AM