I know what you're thinking, Why would I need a shortened URL? There are many reasons, but you can find a few examples below:
1. You want to send someone a link, but it is too long.
2. You want to post a link to Twitter.com, but the link takes up most of the allotted character limit.
3. You want to add a link to a marketing piece, but it is long and affects the look of the piece.
4. You want to track the number of clicks a link is getting.
5. Countless other reasons!
There are many options out there for shortening URL's, but the two that have caught my attention are TinyURL.com and SnipURL.com. There are some distinct differences:
This is a free service that simply allows you to shorten the length of the URL. I like this service because it is user friendly and couldn't be easier to use. Simply visit www.TinyURL.com and enter your URL, then enter what you would like the shortened URL to be and just like that you are given a shortened URL for your use.
SnipURL does virtually the same thing, but offers a few additional tools that are a HUGE benefit.
1. SnipURL saves the links you created. You have a login with SnipURL and it saves each shortened URL you create, so there is no need to save the URL somewhere else, like there is with TinyURL. They are always there to refer back to.
2. SnipURL offers FREE tracking of your shortened URL's.
Why is this important?
Results aren't results unless they are proven, right? Do you want to know how many people are visiting your site from your twitter post? Maybe your Zillow profile? How about from a postcard campaign?
With SnipURL, you can track the clicks and unique clicks of your shortened URL for FREE. After setting up the shortened URL, you can login and check the click throughs on that particular link. Some services charge big money for tracking, and with this site, you can get it for FREE!
After reviewing both sites, I would have to recommend SnipURL over TinyURL, although, if tracking isn't necessary, TinyURL gets the job done just fine!
Not sure how this could benefit you? Ask your Virtual Assistant to help! Need a Real Estate Virtual Assistant? Contact us today. We're a team of real estate specific Virtual Assistants and because we're in the industry working with Top Producers every day, we can help!
Project and Design Coordinator