Here's some tips for using Feng Shui to stage your kitchen, whether you are staging your Los Angeles home to sell, or staging it to live.
Its that time again: the New Year is fast approaching and its time to give your kitchen a Feng Shui tune up. I've updated a post I did last year, and added some new information.
Stage Your Kitchen With Feng Shui
Welcome prosperity and good health into your home with sound Feng Shui practices. With the New Year 2010 approaching, now is the perfect time to invite positive change into your life.
Whether you are staging your home to sell or staging your home to live you can use the principals of home staging and Feng Shui to prepare your home for more comfortable, pleasing and prosperous living for you or your potential buyers.
There are many schools of Feng Shui.
Recommendations will vary from Feng Shui school to school and practitioner to practitioner. Here are some tips to get your kitchen in top Feng Shui shape with little or no cash outlay, just an investment of your time. Despite the fact that different schools have differing "cures", following are some basic changes you can make that apply to all kitchens. We can affect many positive changes in our lives just by applying intention - putting the energy into making a change and welcoming that change into our lives.
In Feng Shui, the condition of the kitchen can influence your level of prosperity and good health.
The goals of both home staging and Feng Shui are increasing cleanliness,functionality and organization and getting rid of clutter to make room for whatever your new prosperity will bring. Follow these steps to increase your prosperity, good health and general well being:
- Clean out your refrigerator and your pantry.Get rid of any out-of-date food or 'science projects' (all of which hold negative energy, by the way). This includes any outdated vitamins or medications you keep in your kitchen. Wipe down the shelves, clean up any old spills and crumbs. If you use shelf paper in your pantry, and it is torn damaged or worn, replace it. If you are staging your home to sell, your pantry should be half full and very neatly arranged. If the items are awkwardly shaped, put them in baskets.
- Restock your refrigerator and pantry. A fuller refrigerator and pantry equates to prosperity and generosity. It also allows us to be prepared for whatever may come up, be it unexpected guests or a change in employment status. Don't overfill the refrigerator and pantry. We don't want them cluttered, just sufficiently full to meet our nourishment needs plus a little extra. Put a small open box of baking soda in the refrigerator to absorb odors. Opening the refrigerator should be a pleasant experience.
- Restock your refrigerator and pantry with healthy food. Take care of your body and it will take care of you. One of the fastest paths to good health is eating healthy food. If your intention is to improve your health, then walk the walk.
- Display fresh fruit on your counter. Abundant fruit is a symbol of prosperity and generosity (yours and the Universe's) in Feng Shui. Besides, you are more likely to eat it if it is readily available, which will improve your health and well-being.
- Remove everything from your cabinets. Assess everything and determine if it is really useful. With the exception of some seasonal items, if you haven't used it in the past 6 months, you should get rid of it (donate, give away to a friend, recycle or throw it away). If it is chipped, broken or otherwise damaged, either fix it or get rid of it. That broken toaster that has been sitting in the cabinet since 2004 may be burning off some of your prosperity - send it on down the road. If the item can be fixed (and you are likely to have it fixed) by all means, do so. If it can be repaired, but you are not inclined to do so, label it with the problem (so the recipient know what they are getting) and then donate it. If it can't be fixed or recycled, then throw it away. The goal is to get rid of clutter and make space for new and better items that will come into your life in the coming year. If you are staging your home to sell, keep your cabinets half full. It allows potential buyers to imagine their things in the cabinets.
To read more about creating prosperity with home staging using Feng Shui, please visit my Los Angeles Home Staging Tips blog.