Selling a home during the holiday season can be tough. You are probably wondering if you will have to sacrifice holiday decorating when you are selling. Below are some tips on how to enjoy some of your holiday décor while your home is on the market.
1. This is not the time to go all Clark Griswald (National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation), Keep it simple, elegant and classy. Keep in mind too much STUFF can potentially distract buyers when viewing your home. When selling your home you want buyers to focus on the selling features of your home, not become overwhelmed with all of your holiday décor.
2. Don't put up the thousands of Christmas lights that you normally put up on the outside of your home. Again keep it simple! A simple holiday wreath displayed on the front door is ideal.
3. Choose a Christmas tree that is the correct size and scale for the room it will be displayed in. You don't want to choose a tree that will take up too much space, making the room appear smaller. Buyers want to see how spacious rooms are; this ensures that their things will fit in the space. Again keep it simple when decorating the tree. Try to stick to a simple color pallet and don't over do it with the ornaments.
4. This is not an ideal time to pull out all of your Holiday décor you have stored in your attic, basement, or garage. These items should be packed away for your new home. Choose only a few of your favorite pieces to display.
5. Store presents in a spare closet out of sight. This ensures that you are not cluttering up the area around the Christmas tree. Remember clutter eats Equity!
By keeping these things in mind you should be able to still enjoy the holiday season while selling your home. Just remember to keep things simple, elegant and classy. You don't want to scare off any potential buyers. When you are selling your home you want buyers to remember the best features of your home not the fact that you had a thousand little snowmen out on display.