New Homes Raleigh NC
Kitchen Island Styles
New Home Trends and Ideas for the Kitchen
A kitchen island can be an integral part of your new home kitchen design. When designed correctly, a kitchen island can work well in an extra large or extra small kitchen.
Islands can be accessed from all sides, which makes them ideal for both workspaces and storage.
A kitchen island can feature display shelves, drawers, and cabinetry.
Kitchen islands can be a beautiful feature in luxury homes or affordable custom homes.
The style, size, and design depend on both taste and budget.
Looking to keep your kitchen costs down? Consider an island with one bank of full cabinets, with a great seating area.
Add some pendant lighting to emphasize this focal point of the kitchen.
In some kitchens, the island can provide the majority of the counter space.
Guests and family can be seated around the kitchen island while meals are prepared.
Homework routines can even revolve around the kitchen island - it's easy to answer those math questions while chopping vegetables!
Thinking of moving the kitchen sink to your kitchen island?
Here's some thoughts to consider:
- Is there enough room for the dishwasher next to the sink (both depth and width)?
- Can the dishwasher open comfortably, with room to walk around?
- Is there room to include a pull out garbage bin/recycle center?
- Can the silverware be stored near the dishwasher?
- Is it possible to use dual height counters to better hide those dirty dishes?
Want to use the kitchen island mainly for food prep?
Keep these thoughts in mind:
- Are there outlets for small appliances?
- Is the refrigerator and cooktop conveniently close?
- Do you want a prep sink?
- Should you consider a butcher block counter?
Looking to cook at the kitchen island?
You'll want to talk to your builder about:
- Countertop materials: should it be heat resistant for ease of cooking with hot pans?
- Is there at least 18 inches of counterspace on either side of the range or cooktop?
- Can an overdraft hood be added, or is a downdraft cooktop required? What is the additional cost versus a typical range or cooktop?
- Should a raised eating area be included?
Will you dine frequently at the kitchen island?
Discuss your options for informal dining at the kitchen island.
- How many can you seat comfortably at the island?
- Should stools be tucked away when not in use?
- How much will seating limit your storage options?
- What height should the island be? Do you want two heights?
Your new kitchen island design should reflect your taste, be fully functional, and be ready for multiple uses and plenty of storage.
Talk to your builder about your ideas for your kitchen island design. Bring pictures of what you have in mind. Your builder will help you decide what's right for you, based on budget, size of kitchen, traffic flow, and much more!
More new home design ideas:
Special Event - "Meet the Builder" Saturday Jan 2 - Find Out More
Truth...or Myth? Questions and Answers About the First Time and Repeat Home Buyer Tax Credit
Finding Your New Home in the Raleigh Area
Stanton Homes makes it easy! We'll guide you through the entire process - select from thousands of different floor plans, and hundreds of different locations. New homes from the upper $100s to the $500s. Custom modifications available too!
Call 919-278-8070 or visit www.StantonHomes.com to find out more today.
Browse New Home Communities, Lots, and Land available throughout the Triangle!
Alamance County New Homes | Apex New Homes | Carrboro New Homes | Cary New Homes | Chapel Hill New Homes | Clayton New Homes | Chatham County New Homes | Holly Springs New Homes | Raleigh New Homes | Wake Forest New Homes
Copyright Stanton Homes 2009. Provided for informational purposes only, no claims are made by Stanton Homes regarding the validity of any statements. Stanton Homes is an NC New Homes Builder, with new homes in the Triangle and Fort Bragg area.
Find what you need?
See More Blog PostsAbout Real Estate! SEE MORE NOW!