ACTIVERAIN MEMBERS EPITOMIZE THE "SOCIAL NETWORKING SUCCESS". However, they are a small cog in a very large wheel that represents real estate industry advertising.
"Hey Lenn. So what are saying, you don't need to take advantage of the internet and social networking if you are willing to work hard? ..."
HEY JOE, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING.
Seems to me that many ActiveRain members often believe that, because participating in this real estate network brings success to them, that participating in social networks is the only answer to success in a real estate business.
I don't believe that is true.
ALONG CAME GOOGLE. I do believe that the unique benefits that rodound to active members are valuable and real. That said, after 15 years actively marketing on the Internet, I have seen them come and I have seen them go. HA! 12 years ago, YAHOO! was the place to be found on the Internet. Along came Google with the unique concept that, if a company was in the business of offering an advertising site, SEARCH was the answer to attracting visitors and profit. No complicated crowded portal, just a simple one line search line. The profit from advertising was also more subtle with AdWords, virtually invisible platform and AdSense, showing those unobtrusive little 3-4 line ads in response to your unique search term.
What are the remaining 94% doing??? The NAR says that only about 6% of REALTORS participate in online marketing, web sites/blogging. What are the remaining 94% doing? Just what agents have done for 100 years since real estate brokerage became a recognized business: meeting people, networking, working geographical spheres, working personal spheres, working office leads, working relocation leads from affiliates, etc., etc. Some are so busy with new business, they have no interest in expanding their marketing efforts to the Internet and see no need.
ACTIVERAIN STAYS AHEAD OF THE CURVE. As more and more social media web sites proliferate, there is a natural tendancy for online advertising consumers to give them a try. Some become successful, some do not. Fortunately, for ActiveRain members who grow with this unique real estate network, we continue to realize the benefits of online marketing through the use of one simple, yet comprehensive platform. Many of us venture into other sites and realize success. Fortunately, the ActiveRain braintrust is on top of this tendancy and brings other platforms into the ActiveRain umberella to benefit our membership. Of course, the members have to take advantage of these offerings to realize the benefits.
ACTIVERAIN IS OUR UNIQUE PERSONAL ADVERTISING COMPANY. Just as Google was unique in 1997, ActiveRain is unique in 2009. That said, the numbers and percentage of agents and brokers taking advantage of this unique advertising platform is minute as a percentage of real estate industry members. That's why. . . . . I STILL SUBMIT THAT: Blogging isn't the way to generate business. It is, of course, an efficiant way to extend your personal profile to the world via a real estate online publication.
If I had to cease participating in social media today, would my business suffer? I don't believe so. The time that I spend on ActiveRain, which is considerable, would be spent on other online advertising. For me, ActiveRain is more fun and efficiant than other forms of online advertising or networking with consumers and other real estate industry representatives.
However, don't make the mistake of believing that blogging or social media is the only way to market your services. Agents who make that mistake risk getting lost in the crowd as the percentage of agents/brokers participating in social media increases.
IN JUNE 1995, when I first went online, my website, Homefinders.com, was one of the few in my area. That lasted for about 1-2 years until other local agents got the message. As competition grew, I had to continue to improve and expand my online presence, which, thankfully I did.
What's the old saying??? "DON'T REST ON YOUR LAURELS". Previous success doesn't guarantee future success.
Courtesy, Lenn Harley, Broker, Homefinders.com, 800-711-7988.