Figures that of the dozen or so books I got for Christmas that the book on blogging would be one of the first I'd read.
In his book Blog Blazers author Stephane Grenier interviews 40 top bloggers.
Questions he asked include:
- When did you decide you finally achieved success with your blog?
- Which five blogs do you read regularly?
- What are your main methods of marketing your blog?
- Which marketing tactic has surprised you most in terms of its effectiveness?
- What's your best advice regarding content and writing for bloggers?
- What is the most common pitfall for new bloggers?
- If you knew what you now know when you first started, what's the best tip you'd give yourself?
- What's your most successful blog post ever?
Grenier founded LandlordMax Software so there are a number of software developer bloggers included. But while the book is weighted towards the tech blogs there's a variety of blog topics included.
The book is also dominated by male bloggers - fewer than a quarter of the people interviewed are female. I'm not sure how that compares to the universe of bloggers - or the subset of successful blogs - however that's defined.
There aren't any real estate bloggers in the book but there are certainly names you'll recognize - and others whose blogs you'll want to check out. And much of the advice and tips will be applicable to your blog.
- J.D. Roth of Get Rich Slowly
- Pamela Slim of Escape from Cubicle Nation
- Penelope Trunk of Brazen Careerist
- Steve Rubel of Micro Persuasion
- Aaron Wall of SEOBook
The bloggers in the book generally have high traffic sites and it's very interesting to read their takes on the questions Grenier poses.
There are a lot of resources mentioned in the bloggers' answers - I've got to reread the book with a highlighter in hand. Whether it's their top posts or their suggestions of best websites and blogs there are plenty of sites I want to explore.
If you've gone over to the other side and bought a Kindle or some other electronic reader this is a great book to download since there are so many sites to link to within the book.
Blog Blazers: 40 Top Bloggers Share Their Secrets to Creating a High-Profile, High-Traffic, and High-Profit Blog! is a super addition to your bookshelf.