Scenario: You wake up on a cold winter morning to take a hot shower and you realize that there is no hot water. What do you do? Here are some steps to help you try to solve your no hot water problems.
- If you have a gas water heater, check the pilot light. If you smell gas, turn off the gas supply to the water heater and call for service. If you don't smell gas and feel comfortable doing so, you may attempt to re-light the pilot by following the instructions on the water heater.
- Check to make sure the gas supply is on. Check other gas appliances in your home or ask neighbors if their gas supply is working.
- If you have an electric water heater, check the circuit breaker or fuse. Reset the breaker/fuse once if there is no visible damage at the water heater or the electrical panel.
- Electric water heaters have a high-limit switch under its top cover. If you feel comfortable, remove the cover and reset this switch once by pushing the button.
- If you don't feel comfortable attempting to reset or re-light your water heater, it is always important to first call for service.
The plumbing system is just one component inspected during a regular home inspection. For more information on home inspections, commercial property inspections or to find an inspector in your area, go to www.npiweb.com.