Anyone who lives in Lake Arrowhead (the San Bernardino Mountains) has heard of our local Mountain Man, Mr. Putman "Putty" Henck. He was our mountain icon! Putty died this week at the age of 91.
...a few bits of information about Putty and his family:
- The Henck family were true pioneers to our mountains moving here in the early 1920's.
- They were responsible for building and managing Santa's Village in Sky Forest.
- Putty was a "Citizen of the Year of the Lake Arrowhead Communities Chamber.
- His folks built the first school (there is one named after a Henck fam. member; Mary Putman Henck) & fire department
- First family to run water and electricity to our mountains.
- Our Lake Arrowhead Village Visitors Center is named in Putty's honor
If you'd like to attend his memorial service, it'll be held on January 23 at the Lake Arrowhead Resort. Contact Leslie McLellan for a time, which has yet to be announced. (909) 337-3715 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To read more about Putty Henck and his families importance to our local area, check out Rim of the Wolrd Historical Society