This something that I wanted to write about since I got into the real estate business four years ago. Many agents will disagree with me, and many will agree. I never understood why listing agents have buyers agents call their sellers to make appointments to see their home. I have always communicated with the buyers agent first then I would call my seller to schedule the appointment. I feel that it is my responsibility and duty to schedule the showing appointment for my sellers.
Below are some of my top reasons why I schedule showing appointments for my Sellers:
1) Communication with the Seller-It gives me an opportunity to speak to the seller about their home. When I call the seller to make the appointment, I first ask, "How are you?" How is everything?" "We have a showing on Monday at 10am, this is the 5th showing in 1 week and we have had no offers, after this showing we really need to talk about the price..." You get the point. In addition, according to many published articles, one reason sellers are dissatisfied, is lack of communication. I wonder why? Could it be the fact that most agents do not schedule showing appointments for their sellers, which in turn, produces less communication between the agent and the seller?
2) Communication with the Agent- It also give you an opportunity to communicate with the agents. This is important for many reasons. One reason is to find out what their buyer is really looking for, or to answer any questions about the property before the showing. Remember, other agents are our clients, they sell our inventory, and communication with the top selling agents is crucial. Have you ever been on an agent caravan? Yes, they are a waste of time in most cases, since all the agents are listing agents and not buyers agents, but the one thing most agents take away from these events is that they had the ability to re connect with agents... Most agents like to talk, many like to hear themselves talk, and others talk over other agents. My point is that we are in the communication business as well as the marketing business, and it is good to speak to our clients (agents) on a regular basis.
3) Record Keeping- You know exactly who is showing your property at any given time. You can then import that agent into a showing feedback program in advance.
4) Feedback- It is easier to obtain feedback from an agent that you had previously spoken to. Example: "Thanks for scheduling this showing, would you mind giving me some feedback when you are finished, Great! I will send you a short survey by email, my seller would really appreciate this"
5) It Is The Exceptional Service I Provide- Yes, I feel that we as agents always talk about helping sellers and handling their real estate affairs. So why would you burden a seller with this? This is part of the exceptional and professional service I provide.
6) I Do Not Want Agents Soliciting My Sellers- Some agents attempt to build re pore with sellers by speaking to them during the showing appointment stage. Yes, I have seen some agents attempt to build re pore with sellers so that they may become the next listing agent when the listing expires. It does happen. Example: Seller- "Suzy Smith showed my house 3X and she is so nice to talk to over the phone, and she told me I had a beautiful home, so I think I am going to list with her this time around"
My top reasons why agents let their sellers set the showing appointment-
1) LAZINESS! Yes, I said it...
2) I Do Not Have Enough TIME to Do This- This is an excuse! Remember, T.I.M.E. = That is my excuse
3) The Sellers Are DIFFICULT- My advice is to not take the listing.
4) This is Not My JOB- You are right, it is not your job, but it is your business!
5) The Sellers Want it This Way- Who is in Control, you or the seller? Good luck!
6) I Do Not Want To Talk With My Sellers- Sorry, get out of the real estate business!
7) This is How We Do It in My Market- Why not be different?
8) I Can Not be Reached on My Cell Phone- Again, get out of the real estate business! Answer your phone!If agents have a better shot of connecting with your sellers and not you, what does this say about you and your business?
Remember, communication between you and your seller is a good thing... and you do want to protect the interests of your client, Right? Just my point of view!
To speak about how I can help you, Call 315-882-6610! Or vist my website at http://www.CNYAgent.com