Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer - by Jackie Connelly-Fornuff

By
Real Estate Agent with Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY

Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer

I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't be able to sleep without a carbon monoxide detector.

This past Sunday morning, ours stopped working and I told my husband I will not be able to sleep without one working in the house.

We bought the one pictured by Kidde. It came with a battery and all you do is plug it in. It has a tamper resist feature which means if you remove it from the wall, the alarm will go off. It also has a battery back-up for power outages. That's perfect for me! All you have to do is remove the battery tab and plug it in and you are done. No hard wiring.

I always thought carbon monoxide only came from a few sources like a blocked chimney flu or a home heating unit. On the back of the carbon monoxide detector package it shows common sources for this silent killer:

  1. Car running in an attached garage.
  2. Clogged chimney.
  3. Corroded or disconnected water heater vent pipe.
  4. Gas, or wood-burning fire place.
  5. Cracked or loose furnace exchange.
  6. Improperly installed kitchen range or vent.
  7. Operating a grill indoors or in a garage.
  8. Portable kerosene or gas heaters.

Thankfully, I never knew anyone who died from carbon monoxide poisoning and I hope I never do. If you do not have one, buy one. There are 8 reasons why you have to. It's a very small price to pay to keep you and your family safe.

Comments (18)

Joan Whitebook
BHG The Masiello Group - Nashua, NH
Consumer Focused Real Estate Services

These are great devices.  I have one too.  One of my clients had a question ~   should they be placed at the outlet a few feet off the florr or should they be closer to the ceiling... ?????

Jan 18, 2010 01:34 PM
Jackie Connelly-Fornuff
Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY - Babylon, NY
"Moving at The Speed of YOU!"

Hi Joan, they should be place lower than the bedrooms in the home if you have multiple floors. We keep ours in the hallway on the first floor. If the carbon starts in the basement, it will come up to the main floor and as soon as that happens the alarm will go off. It's so loud that no one could sleep through it.

Jan 18, 2010 01:38 PM
Tammie White, Broker
Franklin Homes Realty LLC - Franklin, TN
Franklin TN Homes for Sale

I swear by these things.  One went off in my previous home.  Sure enough, I had the HVAC guy come out and yes we had a slow leak.  The unit was 20 years old and we immediately replaced it.  This little gadget saved our lives.

Jan 18, 2010 01:38 PM
Jackie Connelly-Fornuff
Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY - Babylon, NY
"Moving at The Speed of YOU!"

Hi Tammie, I swear by them too. It's crazy NOT to have one and I'm glad you had one then! :)

Jan 18, 2010 01:39 PM
Sandy Wagner
RE/MAX Professionals 253.225.8322 - Gig Harbor, WA
Short Sale Specialist Tacoma, WA, and Gig Harbor,

I have to get one tomorrow! Thanks for sharing this.

Jan 18, 2010 01:57 PM
Ellie McIntire
Ellicott City Clarksville Howard County Maryland Real Estate - Ellicott City, MD
Luxury service in Central Maryland

This is a good reminder. We always encourage our clients to change the smoke detector batteries, but no-one ever mentions CM Monitors. For the record I have one on every level of my home for the same reasons as you.

Jan 18, 2010 02:10 PM
Jackie Connelly-Fornuff
Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY - Babylon, NY
"Moving at The Speed of YOU!"

Hi Sandy, I wanna see the receipt! :)

Hi Ellie, That's a good idea to place them on every level. Better to be safe! :)

Jan 18, 2010 02:22 PM
Chris Ann Cleland
Long and Foster Real Estate - Gainesville, VA
Associate Broker, Bristow, VA

Jackie: I have a carbon monoxide detector in my home.  Bought it at Costco.  Was very reasonable in terms of price and easy to install.  I just plugged it in.

Jan 19, 2010 01:55 AM
Jackie Connelly-Fornuff
Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY - Babylon, NY
"Moving at The Speed of YOU!"

Hi Chris Ann, everyone should have one. It's just plug it in and that's it. Doesn't get any simpler than that :)

Jan 19, 2010 01:57 AM
Carra Riley & Declan Kenyon
Brokers Guild Cherry Creek Ltd - Westminster, CO
Helping people Transition at all ages!

Jackie....Every year we read about someone who died while sleeping because of carbon monoxide poisoning.  It is a needless tragedy with these affordable detectors so readily available.  Thanks for the reminder.

Cosmic Cow

Jan 19, 2010 02:09 AM
Jackie Connelly-Fornuff
Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY - Babylon, NY
"Moving at The Speed of YOU!"

Hi Carra, needless tragedy is right. .And you are welcome :)

Jan 19, 2010 03:22 AM
Toula Rosebrock
Diane Turton, Realtors, Forked River, NJ - Lacey Township, NJ
Broker/Sales Associate, Realtor, Lacey Township,

ToulaRosebrock,com

Hi Jackie:

Great information.

Carbon Monoxide detectors are a must on every floor!!!

Jan 19, 2010 10:10 AM
Jackie Connelly-Fornuff
Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY - Babylon, NY
"Moving at The Speed of YOU!"

Hi Toula, Thank you. You do have them right? Yes? lol :)

Jan 19, 2010 10:16 AM
Claude Cross
Homes By Cross, Inc. - Charlotte, NC
Charlotte NC Homes For Sale

Jackie - It's the law here, but unfortunately many older homes are still missing detectors. It's a fairly inexpensive device that will save your life. Great information

Jan 24, 2010 05:44 AM
Dr. Stacey-Ann Baugh
Century 21 New Millennium - Upper Marlboro, MD
A doctor who makes house calls.

Its the law around here.  There are some great ones that are smoke detectors too so you don't have as many devices.  Great info.  I am going to reblog this.  

Jan 24, 2010 08:13 AM
Jackie Connelly-Fornuff
Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY - Babylon, NY
"Moving at The Speed of YOU!"

Hi Claude, It's the law here too but I'm amazed at how many people do not have one or don't even know if there's works or not. And thank you :)

Hi Dr. Stacey-Ann, It's a law here too. I like having separate devices. I'm afraid of one goes, then the other may go with it. Thank you for the re-blog too! :)

Jan 24, 2010 09:39 AM
David Cahill
Century 21 Cahill Associates - Boston, MA

These are life savers!  I actually had a commercial inspection the other day where the vent pipe from the furnace was totally disconnected from the chimney where it was supposed to ventilate.  Inspector freaked out and said something along the lines of "That needs to be addressed like five minutes ago!"

 

Jan 29, 2010 01:22 PM
Jackie Connelly-Fornuff
Douglas Elliman Real Estate in Babylon NY - Babylon, NY
"Moving at The Speed of YOU!"

Hi David, Now that is not good! Pretty scary stuff!

Jan 29, 2010 01:30 PM