My friend Jackie Connelly-Fornuff makes a great point about carbon monoxide detectors. There are many reasons to have one, but many homes still do not have even the super affordable plug-in version.
After reading Jackie's blog, you'll probably want to pick one up from our local home improvement store, or even Costco, like I did. And if you'd like to leave a comment, please visit Jackie's original post.
Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer
I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't be able to sleep without a carbon monoxide detector.
This past Sunday morning, ours stopped working and I told my husband I will not be able to sleep without one working in the house.
We bought the one pictured by Kidde. It came with a battery and all you do is plug it in. It has a tamper resist feature which means if you remove it from the wall, the alarm will go off. It also has a battery back-up for power outages. That's perfect for me! All you have to do is remove the battery tab and plug it in and you are done. No hard wiring.
I always thought carbon monoxide only came from a few sources like a blocked chimney flu or a home heating unit. On the back of the carbon monoxide detector package it shows common sources for this silent killer:
- Car running in an attached garage.
- Clogged chimney.
- Corroded or disconnected water heater vent pipe.
- Gas, or wood-burning fire place.
- Cracked or loose furnace exchange.
- Improperly installed kitchen range or vent.
- Operating a grill indoors or in a garage.
- Portable kerosene or gas heaters.
Thankfully, I never knew anyone who died from carbon monoxide poisoning and I hope I never do. If you do not have one, buy one. There are 8 reasons why you have to. It's a very small price to pay to keep you and your family safe.
Coldwell Banker Residential
Babylon, NY 11702
Direct: (631) 274-1937
Cell: (631) 703-0201
Search For Your Dream Home Today!