Like it or not, it looks like the Raleigh area will definitely get some snow and ice this weekend. Here are a few tips on preparing your family for the storm.
1. Keep a small battery powered radio on hand to listen to the weather forecast.
2. Make sure you have enough heating fuel or an alternative source for those of you who heat with electricity.
3. Keep external doors closed as much as possible in order to conserve heat. Close off unused rooms in the house.
4. Stock up on batteries, flashlights, candles, matches, and blankets. NEVER LEAVE A BURNING CANDLE NEAR A COMBUSTIBLE OBJECT OR UNATTENDED!!!!
5. Keep the floor clear of toys. There's nothing like stepping on Legos when the power is out.
6. Whatever we get will likely melt and refreeze for several days. Get some rock salt, sand, and shovels to keep your walkway and driveway clear.
7. Insulate pipes, allow indoor faucets to drip, and shut off the water to your external bibs (a.k.a spigots) to help ward off a visit from the plumber.
8. Keep plenty of "non-electronic" games on hand to entertain the kids (i.e. board games, cards)
9. Stock up on food. Be cognizant of what you're buying. Get the pop-top canned foods if you only have an electric can opener. Don't stock up on foods that have to stay refrigerated. It has been said that well balanced meals help you stay warmer.
10. Most importantly, BE CAREFUL and STAY HOME if you do not need to be out. Keep the roads clear for Emergency Vehicles.