I still like the first two, but....
We are in a new decade, with new design trends, so it's time to say goodbye to the old, and in with the new!
Here are the 5 design trends that have finally worn out their welcome:
1. Two-Storey Family Rooms - these rooms used to be grand and impressive with a feeling of royalty, but now they just seem dysfunctional and pretentious, not to mention anything but cozy. This two storey waste of space is a trend that consumers are ready to say buh-bye to.
2. Trophy Kitchens - Stainless steel appliances and cold granite counter tops are too commercial for home kitchens. The maintenance alone between wiping fingerprints from the stainless steel to sealing the granite countertops from stains is a thing of the past. People want less time managing the upkeep of their kitchen and more time cooking with the family.
3. Mismatched Upholstery - This trend is not to be confused with mixing and matching furniture, that will always be a part of current styles. This faux pas relates to mixed and matched flower patterns that some would call hippie chic or eclectic, but really just comes off as Grandma's attic.
4. White Stair Risers - Why not showcase every scuff mark and spend your weekends scrubbing them off? White stair risers will give you just that!
5. Tuscan Overload - This one is my favorite, we all know what this means, those homes you walk into where every wall surface has been touched with a rag in some fashion to give it that plaster look. Pair that with wrought iron, living room pillars (and we're not talking structural) and arches over every door way...and voila, you have a home that inspires you to never eat pasta again!
Colleen Rushforth Team
Colleen Rushforth, Diba Hughes & Sarah Dunlop,
Keller Williams Ottawa Realty, Brokerage