It’s inevitable... when walking into a home for the first time, buyers can’t help but critique the way things look. Whether it’s bad carpeting, brightly painted walls or tacky lighting... don’t panic. It can be changed.
Remember... you’re not buying the decor, you’re buying the house. Obviously if the property is aesthetically pleasing, the decision can be much easier to make. But learning to "see" beyond what you see is one of the keys to finding your new home.
What you should be concentrating on are the often overlooked aspects of the home such as:
- Quality heating systems and water heaters
- Sound structures
- Younger roofs
- Updated electrical
- Energy and money saving appliances
- Energy efficient windows
- Quality location and neighborhood
A lot of us can be driven by visuals, and lack the ability to see the potential in a home purely because we’re hung up on colors, styles, fabrics or designs. Believe it or not, I’ve even heard buyers comment about the furniture in the rooms. Really... the furniture? Part of my job during a showing is to help my clients visualize how a home could look with a little sweat equity and a solid plan.
Here are some of my quick and easy ways to help a buyer see a homes true potential:
- Bring along a knob or drawer pull that you like and try it on the kitchen cabinets.
- Don’t be afraid to bring a notepad along in order to sketch the layout of a room and then place your furniture where you think it might fit.
- Bring color cards of potential wall colors that you’re considering.
- Take pictures of each room from different angles in order to keep them fresh in your mind.
- Openly discuss ideas of what you’d like to do in the home... talking things out while your still there can often lead to that “a-ha” moment.
Buying a home is often the most important decision in a persons life. Why make that decision based on the styles, fabrics and colors chosen by the previous owner? Learn to "see" beyond what you see and your home buying process will truly be rewarding.
Williams & Stuart Real Estate
870 Oaklawn Ave
Cranston, RI, 02920
Work: 401.942.0200 ext 28
Your Friend in Rhode Island Real Estate