Amanda's Law named after Amanda Hansen, a 16 year old girl whose life was tradgically taken by a carbon monoxide leak from a defective boiler in 2009, will take effect February 22, 2010. This law will require a carbon minoxide meter detector to be installed in dwellings in which are operatable devices that can emit carbon minoxide or have an attached garage.
According to the law" devices that obmit carbon minoxide are "includes fuel fired appliances, equipment, devices and systems; solid fuel burning appliances, equipment, devices and systems; all other appliances, equipment, devices and systems that may emit carbon monoxide; fireplaces; garages; and all other motor vehicle-related occupancies."
Carbon minoxide posionings and illnesses are common in the winter as that is when furnaces are running. Carbon minoxide posioning symptoms are ones like the flu. It is important when having flu symptoms to be checked out and think twice about carbon minoxide posioning.