Advice to Sellers - Staging your home really helps it sell!
Last week was really a 'visual' week in extremes. My one post entitled 'The glamorous job of a Realtor©' tried to show you the kinds of homes that we might see during the course of showing or on listing appointments. One of the things that I desperately try to point out to sellers is the competition that is currently on the market in our area. When I do a listing appointment I come armed with how many homes are in a particular price range, absorption rates for your city and a game plan to get you sold quickly and on your way to your new home!
What's the most overlooked piece of advice? Staging your home. If you are already rolling your eyes and starting to whine in your head - 'But Lyn, my home is nice right now'. 'But Lyn, I have to live here ya know'. I've got news for you, buyers don't care about what you think. They want to purchase a home that looks great, smells great and has the best price!
So, where do you fit in? Where do you want to fit in? Why would you spend time detailing your car to sell on Craigslist but not 'detail your home'? It's the same thing. You're doing it to create optimum value for the buyer.
Here's is a series of posts that I think will help you get an idea of what 'the market' is looking for and what trends can help you.
- Staging is not a bunch of 'hooey'.
- Shiny Brass is indeed the kiss of death with buyers whether you believe it or not!
- The 'dalmatian' paint job! Make sure you don't do this.
- Five keys to a successful sale!
- Can I do anything with 100 bucks?
- Seller finally fesses up about ugly wallpaper!
- Yes, I'm asking that you clean the stove - is that a problem?
- Is that your refrigerator?
- Mr. Seller I tried to help you!
- Mr. Seller - please unwrap your walls!
- It better 'Shine'
All these photos are from successfully closed homes or staged homes on the market now! These are real homes in the Schaumburg area!