Living in Florida it is imperative that we are all prepared for Hurricane Season. How well prepared are you? We took inventory and made a list of what we still needed. It is always better to have a plan and be prepared even if a storm does not come this year. The people who are not prepared lose the most and also seem to whine the most that they do not have water to drink or food to eat. That is why we are told to have our houses in order and stocked with the items that are needed during and after a storm. Then you can just complain about how hot it is!
But not that you are thirsty! We have never had to stand in those water lines because we fill up our water jugs way before a storm comes. I
I just received a mailing from our bank about being financially prepared in the case of a hurricane. Now here is a list of suggestions they had as well as some more that I just thought of that we do not usually think about:
- Open a safe deposit box at the bank to store all your important documents. If you don't want to do that at a bank, you can buy a waterproof safe to store your documents in.
- I also learned to put your documents in zip lock bags and then put them in the safe, just in case.
- Keep photo copies of all your important documents in a zip lock bag where you can find them easily such as copy of your ID, medical insurance papers, homeowners insurance papers, birth certificates, etc.
- Also, put a copy of all your bank account numbers, insurance phone numbers, etc. in the Zip Lock bag and place it in your 3 days survival kits.
- Withdraw enough cash to last you one week. Remember if the power goes out, the ATM machines will not work.
- Consider direct deposit for your checks.
- Set up online banking to make sure your bills get paid on time.
- If you have a home equity line make sure that you save some of it for repairs if they are needed after a storm.
- If you plan to go on vacation to an place that is in a hurricane area during storm season make sure you get paper airline tickets. Many airlines will not accept E tickets right after a storm.
- If you are going on vacation during storm season get insurance on your trip! All the expenses you incur during and after a storm are not going to be paid back to you by your travel company or airlines.
Most of all, do not focus on the storms coming all the time. It makes for such stress. Remember what we focus on expands. In fact , we no longer watch the news. Our friends tell us if there is a storm coming for real, and then we will watch the news at that time. The hype building up to these storms can really create a stressful environment.
Stay safe and be prepared! Katerina