New Form for Home Buyer Tax Credit -, Janice Roosevelt, Keller Williams, PA & DE

Real Estate Agent with Keller Williams Brandywine Valley PARS273421 & De Lic.

A new form, Form 5405, First-Time Homebuyer Credit and Repayment of the Credit,and the related instructions., was  released by The Internal Revenue Service outlining  what  eligible homebuyers need to claim the first-time homebuyer credit this tax season. 

Processing those returns  is about to  begin. Eligible homebuyers can now start to file their 2009 tax returns.

Eligible homebuyers must include with their 2009 tax returns one of the following documents in order to receive the credit:

  • A copy of the settlement statement showing all parties' names and signatures, property address, sales price, and date of purchase. Normally, this is the properly executed Form HUD-1, Settlement Statement.
  • For mobile home purchasers who are unable to get a settlement statement, a copy of the executed retail sales contract showing all parties' names and signatures, property address, purchase price and date of purchase.
  • For a newly constructed home where a settlement statement is not available, a copy of the certificate of occupancy showing the owner's name, property address and date of the certificate.

The new law allows a long-time resident of the same main home to claim the homebuyer credit if they purchase a new principal residence.

Qualifications include: having lived in your  old homes for a 5-consecutive-year period during the 8-year period ending on the purchase date of the new home.

To avoid refund delays in processing your return, attach documentation covering the five-consecutive-year period:

  • Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement, or substitute mortgage interest statements,
  • Property tax records or
  • Homeowner's insurance records.

More details on claiming the credit can be found in the instructions to Form 5405, as well as on theFirst-Time Homebuyer Credit page. for more info go to www.


This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
ActiveRain Community
The Lounge at Active Rain
1st Time Buyers
Local Expert
Advice for Buyers
homebuyer tax credit

Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Randy Ostrander
Lake and Lodge Realty LLC - Big Rapids, MI
Real Estate Broker, Serving Big Rapids and West Central MI

Great post Janice. Clears up the question on proving the 5 years in the house. Very informative.

Feb 10, 2010 11:49 PM #1
Janice Roosevelt
Keller Williams Brandywine Valley - West Chester, PA
OICP ABR, ePRO,Ecobroker

Randy, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad yo found it helpful.

Feb 10, 2010 11:57 PM #2
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Janice Roosevelt

OICP ABR, ePRO,Ecobroker
Ask me a question
Spam prevention

Additional Information