As an Accredited Staging Professional Realtor, I'm often asked what soon to be sellers can do to get their home 'show' ready. I've complied a list of some of my least expensive techniques that I share with sellers before listing their home. If you are in the Orange County area, I'd love to help. I stage all my listings for my sellers and they love it. Better still, I get offers in the first 30 days 100% of the time my homes are staged.
Here are 10 cheap ways to make a property more attractive to shoppers:
- Q-tip clean your home. This means cleaning/dusting all baseboards, crevices, grout, and all surfaces.
- De-clutter the interior and exterior. Don't stop with the personal photos in frames. Take down 2/3 of your accessories on all surfaces in all rooms. Place them in boxes and store them neatly in the garage or storage shed.
- Improve first impressions. Touch up the paint on the front door and other areas that buyers see first. Clear the path to your door of leaves and shrubs.
- Clean up the landscaping. Trim the hedges and trees and plant some annuals in the flowerbeds.
- Put down fresh gorilla hair. This gives a uniformity to the landscape.
- Paint the interior. A coat of light tan or cream with contrasting white woodwork looks fresh and clean.
- Refurbish the floors. Buff hardwood flooring. Install new carpets – or consider neutral 18'' porcelain tiles.
- Advertise the home warranty. Knowing that the appliances will be under warranty for the first year a buyer lives there gives many a secure feeling.
- Improve energy efficiency. New windows or improved insulation tells a potential buyer the seller is on top of things plus they come with tax benefits.
- Replace light fixtures. Updated fixtures, especially at the entrance way and in the foyer, create a good first impression. Make sure all fixtures have working bulbs.
- Buy a stove. Home owners whose kitchen isn’t top of the line can jazz it up for a few hundred dollars by buying a new stove, which gives the room a fresh feel.
- Move your furniture around. Use what you have to create inviting spaces. Try replacing adding and replacing furniture from different rooms.
- Add lamps to each room. This creates a cozy feel and gives better light to all rooms.
- Give every room in your home a use. If you use your dining room as your sewing room or a bedroom as a playroom, don't. Showcase the rooms for what they were meant to be used for.
- Tidy up the bathrooms. Get rid of mildew, replace caulking, and replace stained sinks.
Lastly, have fun with it and get a friend involved. Their fresh eyes can make all the difference. You'll find that a huge weight has been lifted living in a clutter free home and you will be motivated to keep it up.