A Question of Insurance

Real Estate Agent with harvey & associates realty

I have a new, vacant spec home that I want to stage using locally crafted furniture and original art from the local community.  It has even occured to me to "host" artist openings in my houses. I have concern about keeping the loaned art insured.  Do any of you use or feature local artists in your staged homes?  I live in an artist community and it seems like it would be a wonderful opportunity for local artists to promote and showcase their work but I am concerned with the liability of "borrowing" or featuring items that do not belong to me. Do any of you know of insurance I can buy for this purpose?  How would you handle this? 

Susan Buchanan

Taos, New Mexico 



This entry hasn't been re-blogged:

Re-Blogged By Re-Blogged At
Stage It Forward...

Spam prevention
Show All Comments
Maureen Bray Portland OR Home Stager ~ Room Solutions Staging
Room Solutions Staging, Portland OR - Portland, OR
"Staging Consultations that Sell Portland Homes"


Check with Vitus Lau of Vitallia Insurance, he's a member of A/R too and a lot of us in various states use his company for staging insurance.  If he can't help you, he will advise you the best course to follow.  His website is www.vitallia.com and his office phone is 510-668-1895.  Good luck!

Jul 17, 2007 05:48 PM #1
Maureen Maureen
Orangeburg, NY

Susan - Do you have insurance?  Mine has a rider to include any accessories that I bring into the home.  I think is for $100,000 if you need insurance you can call:

Barbara Harris, Account Executive
Cambridge Brokerage Group, LTD

She is a self proclaimed HGTV junkie and will be familiar with what you need.

I think the idea of featuring local artists is brilliant.  I'd love to see some pics.



Jul 18, 2007 01:12 AM #2
Maureen Maureen
Orangeburg, NY

Susan - I just read your profile and realized that you are not a home stager, so you probably don't have small business insurance.  If you are planning on Staging a lot of your listings you may want to consider it.  Mine is under $400 for the year.  It might give you peace of mind.

You should check with an insurance agent to find our what homeowners insurance covers.  Most homeowners policies will cover damage - you just need to make sure that the coverage will extend to things brought in by a third party.  I think you may also consider having the artists sign a waver saying that you are not liable for lost or damaged property.   

Jul 18, 2007 01:21 AM #3
Julia Fedak
Platinum Home Designs - Oakville, ON

I have used a local artist's framed photo's that I have purchased--not borrowed. It is a great opportunity to show off your local artists talent--and sell "lifestyle". I guess, for me, it would depend on the price range of the photos. But I think Maureen makes some good points.


Jul 18, 2007 03:17 PM #4
Michelle Minch
Moving Mountains Design Home Staging, Pasadena, CA - Los Angeles, CA
Home Staging Los Angeles and Pasadena, CA
Vitus at Vitallia will definitely help you. I use a lot of Persian rugs that I get from a local dealer. Vitus faxed him a certificate of insurance so his rugs are covered by my insurance when in a staged location.
Jul 18, 2007 04:45 PM #5
Show All Comments

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?


Susan Buchanan

Ask me a question

Additional Information