Facebook is one way to social network with a mass group of online contacts, so below is a definition of what it is.
Social networking is the grouping of individuals into specific groups. Social networking is most popular online. This is because the internet is filled with millions of individuals who are looking to meet other people, to gather and share first-hand information and experiences about any number of topics. . . from golfing, gardening, developing friendships and professional alliances.
When it comes to online social networking, websites are commonly used. These websites are known as social sites. Social networking websites function like an online community of internet users. This socialization may include reading the profile pages of other members and possibly even contacting them.
There are dangers associated with social networking including data theft and viruses, which are on the rise. The most prevalent danger though often involves online predators or individuals who claim to be someone that they are not, you are advised to proceed with caution online. Be aware of your cyber-surroundings and who you are talking to, you should be able to safely enjoy social networking online. It will take many phone conversations to get to know someone, but you really won't be able to make a clear judgement until you can meet each other in person. Just use common sense and listen to your inner voice; it will tell you when something doesn't feel right about the online conversations taking place.
Once you are well informed and comfortable with your findings, you can begin your search from hundreds of networking communities to join. Once you join be careful of the harmful networking habits. Avoiding these pitfalls will help you take advantage of social networking's marketing potential.
Six harmful habits:
1. Don't waste time online; this will get you behind in the important things you need to accomplish. Set aside a time you want to post or check posting to your site. Don't let it become a priority.
2. Don't posting sporadically or infrequently....frequent activity ensures that your connections see value in your relationships and puts your name in front of them, and it also allows you to monitor comments from others about you or your business.
3. Don't be too focused on business...Mix in friendly comments or a dash of humor in your business interactions.
4. Don't post inappropriate content. Keep it positive and make it kid friendly.
5. Don't collect contacts like trophies, think of quality as well as quantity. Reach out to people you actually have a conection with. This will make your network healthy and a more productive useful business tool.
Remember KISS (Keep It Simple & Smart)!
Have fun growing your network and enjoy adding to your online network!