GOOGLE TOOLS FOR REALTORS SERIES
In this Google Tools for Realtors Series, we will cover, review and provide how-to tips and strategies for Google's suite of productivity tools including such tools as:
- Google Calendar
- Google Alerts
- Google Wave
- Google Documents
- Google Maps
- Google Earth
- Google Local Business Center
- Google Adwords / G-Mail Ads
- Google Blogger
- Google Analytics
- Google Groups
- Google Sites
- Google Talk
- Google Voice
- Google Search
- Google Toolbar
In the second installment of the Google Tools for Realtors Series, we will take a look at how Realtors can effectively use Google Alerts in their real estate practice including such topics as:
- Why Use Google Alerts
- Setting Up Google Alerts
- Google Alert Success Stories
- Non-Google Reputation Management Tools
WHY USE GOOGLE ALERTS?
Google Alerts allows you to create automated searches of diverse media such as blogs, images, video, groups, news and the Internet based on simple keywords. The tool has many benefits:
- Monitor Real Estate Trends (e.g. St. Louis Market Reports)
- Competitor Research (e.g. Name of Agent or Brokerage)
- Tracking Upcoming Real Estate Events (e.g St. Louis REBar Camp)
- Manage Online Reputation (e.g. Ryan Shaughnessy or PREA Signature Realty)
- Identify Misuse of Your Listings (1515 Lafayette or the Georgian)
- Monitor Past Clients (e.g. Client A)
- Use as Customer Service / Testimonial Tool (e.g. Ryan Shaughnessy or PREA Signature Realty)
- Track Technology (e.g. Google Tools)
- Track Government Information and Announcements (e.g. Missouri Real Estate Commission)
- SEO Management (e.g. www.LafayetteReport.com)
- Catch Copyright Infringement (e.g. Blog Titles)
HOW TO SET UP GOOGLE ALERTS
Step 1 - Log into Google account. Go to: www.google.com/alerts.
Step 2 - Enter the search information.
- Search Terms: Use Narrow Keywords to Limit Search to Relevant Items
- Type: Select the type of search - comprehensive, image, video, blog, groups, news, internet or comprehensive.
- How Often: Select period - immediate, daily, or weekly,
- E-Mail Length: # of returned search items - 20 mentions or 50 mentions.
- Deliver to: Your preferred e-mail address.
Step 3 - Review e-mailed alerts.
Step 4 - Manage alerts. If you are receiving too many or too few alerts, change your search terms for the alerts.
KEYWORD SEARCH OPERATORS
Use standard Google search operands to narrow or refine your search:
- Inclusive Search: AND - "Real Estate" AND Technology
- Alternate Search: OR - "Second Empire" or "Federal"
- Wild Card Search: "* with a mountain view"
- Specific Site Search: site:http://www.PREASignatureRealty.com
- Link: link:http://activerain.com/blogsview/1507292/google-tools-for-realtors-series-google-calendar
GOOGLE ALERT SUCCESS STORIES
Over the past 18 months, Google Alerts has been an invaluable tool. Here are some of the success stories:
- Identified Competitor Copying and Pasting Market Report.
- Discovered Long Forgotten Media Video Clip of One of Our Agents.
- Discovered Misuse of Craigslist Posting by Unlicensed Real Agent and by Rental Scam Artist.
- Discovered Problem with Trulia Feed Directing Leads to Competitor's Website.
- Found Article on Past Client regarding New Development Project.
- Identified Buyer for Commercial Property.
- Found Negative Comments regarding a Development in Area.
- Identified End-User Subscribing to RSS Blog Feed.
NON-GOOGLE REPUTATION MANAGEMENT TOOLS
Oddly, different alert services focus on different media and yield different search results. Here are some other services:
INTERESTED IN LEARNING MORE ABOUT HOW TO USE GOOGLE TOOLS IN THE MARKETING AND SALE OF REAL ESTATE? Contact Ryan Shaughnessy at 314-971-4381 or send an e-mail to Ryan@PREASignatureRealty.com.