How can you tell a politician is lying to you? Answer: Their lips are moving.
As we move towards the election season, I started thinking about the problems our country and our communities are facing. It comes down to a lack of common sense and honesty. These two things are missing in government. They are also extremely rare among politicians.
If I had a magic wand, here is a few of the things I would change:
- There would be term limits for all public officials. Including a total number years you can hold elected office in your lifetime.
- There would be no pension or benefits gained from holding an elected office once you leave.
- All laws will be written in common English and no legalese.
- All laws must fit on an 8-1/2x11 sheet of paper and be easy to read.
- To create a new law, you must eliminate an old law (maybe 2).
- No tax increases can be passed without them being passed by the public on the ballot.
- Elected officials pay, will be recommended by an independent commission and voted on by the tax payers.
- If you do not pay taxes, you do not get a tax return refund.
- Lawyers will be restricted from holding many of the public offices, possibly all of them. (I know this one will hit some nerves.) The screw ball laws we have now are a direct result of lawyers holding a large percentage of the elected positions. Our elected officials need to be made up of a cross section of the community.
- Government workers can't be paid higher than the equivalent job in the private sector.
- No elected official with a conflict of interest be allowed to vote on key legislation.
- All government agencies that are not tied to public safety or infrastructure like roads will be cut back by 25% immediately. Government also needs to close 25% of their programs and agencies. We will start with any duplication. We only need one department of education for example. It will be either be the state, the county or the federal government, not all three. Give the money back to the tax payers. If government is truly convicted the public needs or wants that service, they can continue to offer it as a paid service. With money in their pocket the public can better afford to pay for that service or they can go to a private sector company. We will find out fast whether the public really needs or wants that government service.
- Lying is grounds for recalling an elected official. There will also be a recall procedure for all elected officials.
- Elected officials can't pass any law that exempts them. You want to impose a medical plan on us, than you have to give up yours also. You impose a tax on us, you pay it too.
- All budgets must balance. Refer back to item#6. They will do it with the money they have, not the money in the tax payer's pockets.
- Every tax payer dollar must be accounted for. If not you go to jail. That is how it is in the private sector.
- If you do not honor your oath to uphold the constitution you are fired.
We need to go back to the days of public service and got rid of career politicians. Just think what the country would look like. If people earned a real living in the private sector first, then gave back a few years of service to their community, things would be much better.
The problems we have could be easily solved with common sense and honesty. These are two commodities missing in government and politicians.