I wanted to fire back on Jay Teresi about his article on the future of real eastate and how he is dead right and wrong at the same time, but as usually GOOGLE trumps all.
In my google reader or more correctly, my homepage there's an article about Google's SEO Report Card from a small blog. You can download the report there, but here's some nuggets.
Use the space provided - Most major search engines display approximately 60 characters from a page's title tag in the title of a search result. These 60 characters are an opportunity to tell both users and search engines what the focus of the page is. There's no need to go past this many characters, as most search engines will display ellipses ( ... ) after this limit. Also, search engines may give less weight to words after a certain point
So instead of Joshua Jarvis or Joshua Jarvis Blog - It should be Joshua Jarvis - Atlanta|Duluth|Buford Real Estate Blog
- Google doesn't use Keywords or Description Tags for RESULTS (Page Rank)
- Google DOES use Keywords and Description tags for the "Snippets"
This is my AR ranking on Google:
Joshua Jarvis (Keller Williams Realty - Atlanta Real Estate ...[MORE THAN 60 CHARACTERS] ActiveRain real estate profile for Joshua Jarvis (Keller Williams Realty - Atlanta Real Estate) a Real Estate Agent in Dacula, GA. When you view the source you'll see:
meta name="description" content="ActiveRain real estate profile for Joshua Jarvis (Keller Williams Realty - Atlanta Real Estate) a Real Estate Agent in Dacula, GA"
So descriptions are what they should be, your mission/values/goals or the ABOUT this page.
404 NOT FOUND
There's several pages devoted to layout of content. It's pretty geeky but here's the synopsis.
- Never duplicate content on another url/website
- Try to eliminate 404's - this is typically the result of removing webpages or linking to webpages that no longer exist.
- When you remove content/pages/ set up a 301 Redirect (Google it). If you are your own webmaster this is easy.
- Ideally your website should be structured like gahomesdigest/cities/buford/ instead of buford.gahomesdigest.com. Subdomains are good for marketing or to help people find you, but for SEO, it appears that directory set up is better.
Heading tags should be used. Don't get sucked into the idea of text styling without including your heading tags. H1 tags are like restating the title to the user and the search engine. The h2, h3, tags are like keywords for you but need to be descriptive and help layout the page.
ALT TEXT & ANCHOR TEXT
Sounds techie but it's not. Everytime you post a link or image on Active Rain it asks, "Title" "alt" , ect. This is what it's talk about. Don't have a LOGO.jpg without it have an ALT text that reads, "Alt= Joshua Jarvis - GaHomesDigest" or something of the sort.
What's the point? It's all about how to outmarket the competition and market your services and your listings better than the next guy. Don't want the future to look like Mr. Teresi's version? Then you should get to learning this (real estate SEO), otherwise you could end up as my employee. (inside joke if you read the article).